- Date Posted: January 6, 2022
- Location: Eleuthera, Bahamas
- Company: Cape Eleuthera Institute
- Job Type: Full Time
- Salary: Based on Experience
- Housing Offered: Yes
- Experience: 3–5 yrs
- Website: http://www.ceibahamas.org/work-with-us
Calling all experienced EMTS/Paramedics! Come work, live, and make a difference in the tropical paradise that is The Bahamas!
The Cape Eleuthera Island School (CEIS), a not-for-profit organization based in The Bahamas, was founded to create and support transformational educational experiences with the mission of leadership effecting change, on the island of Eleuthera. The diverse CEIS educational initiatives, including our Island School Semester and Summer Term, our Deep Creek Middle School, our Early Learning Center, and our Community Outreach, deliver unique educational journeys in partnership with the authentic and meaningful work our organization undertakes in research, sustainable development and innovation at the Cape Eleuthera Institute. We are reimagining what education is for, and redesigning how education is delivered.
The Cape Eleuthera Island School is seeking an experienced Paramedic or EMT to join our onsite medical team and help provide first aid, urgent, and emergency medical care to our community members. This position will also aid in coordinating and transporting injured or sick persons to definitive medical care as needed. The ideal candidate will have experience working within a team of medical, mental health and risk management professionals and will carry current qualification as a Paramedic, WEMT, and/or EMT-A.
Located on the Island of Eleuthera in the Bahamas, the Cape Eleuthera Island School and Cape Eleuthera Institute operate year round offering educational programs to clients of all ages. Educational programs involve students, following an academic curriculum that involves SCUBA, sailing and kayaking programs along with a rigorous physical activity schedule. In addition, students and staff are actively involved in marine research and education involving corals, turtles, sharks etc. The Wellness team provides education and training for staff and students as well as acute and long-term care for this population ranging in age from 2 years old to 80. Care is also provided on occasion to the communities of South Eleuthera on a larger scale in conjunction with local physicians, and clinics. Eleuthera is a remote island with no hospital and limited medical resources. The nature of the care and work we do reflects this challenging yet exciting environment.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Works as part of a small medical team that consists of a Paramedic or RN, EMT, and a robust community of WFR-trained faculty to oversee the wellness, safety and health management of CEIS activities and staff.
- Ensures quality health services to the CEIS community, including students, staff, interns and wider community members as needed.
- Responds to emergencies that occur on campus or during off campus activities and leads response efforts, including direct patient care, response coordination, and evacuation.
- Provides daily first aid, urgent, and emergent medical care needs to the CEIS community.
- Observes, documents, and reports patient conditions/injuries, treatments, and care measures as appropriate.
- Liaise with and keep parents, and other relevant stakeholder informed of students’ medical conditions, treatment and future needs
- Coordinates with Telemedicine and/or local clinics as needed to provide appropriate care and treatment for patients.
- Provides education to CEIS community members on safety and health and wellness, through a combination of group in-services, new staff orientation, email communication and individual teaching as needed.
- Leads/assists in site-specific medical and risk management training and education. This may include basic First Aid and CPR training, community wide emergency response scenarios, and skills refreshers.
- Maintains onsite medical room, equipment, and supply inventory.
- Participates in an on-call schedule with other medical personnel for after-hours emergencies.
- Maintains current licensure and certifications as needed for the position.
Apply online today!