- Date Posted: April 27, 2022
- Location: Juneau, Alaska
- Company: UnCruise Adventures
- Job Type: Full Time
- Salary: $320 / day
- Housing Offered: Yes
- Experience: Some experience required
- Website: https://www.uncruise.com
- Email: [email protected]
- Phone: (877) 787-9451
WHO WE ARE
At UnCruise Adventures, we work together to support and build a brand that provides an enriching adventure travel experience that inspires an appreciation of local cultures and the natural world. This means we kayak among icebergs, travel to hidden waterfalls, snorkel with sea lions, dive with manta rays and share air with whales. Our destinations include Alaska, Columbia & Snake Rivers, Costa Rica & Panama, Belize, Galapagos, Hawaiian Islands, Mexico’s Sea of Cortes, and the Pacific Northwest. Every team member plays a major role in bringing the adventure to life. When you join our team, you become an important part of our uniqueness.
The Chef is responsible for overseeing all staff and functions within the galley. The Chef will coordinate and participate in all galley activities in regard to food preparation, inventory, ordering, and cleaning under the direction of the Hotel Manager.
- Plan, oversee, and execute all guest and crew meals with the assistance of the Sous Chef(s). Follow company guidelines for ordering, inventory, and budget management. Maintain quality and consistency with the menu items daily.
- Participate in the cooking and preparation of food items as a member of the galley staff.
- Prepare items for special diets as needed for vegan, gluten-free, allergies, etc.
- Ensure the provisioning of all food and related products by placing weekly orders in conjunction with the Hotel Manager, including loading and checking-in provisions.
- Maintain accurate inventories for appropriate stocking levels and proper rotation of perishable food stores. This includes the cleaning and organization of all provision storage areas in the galley, freezer, refrigerator, and storeroom.
- Work closely with the Hotel Manager to create a comfortable and safe work environment for all galley employees.
- Maintain a professional demeanor with guests, crew, staff, agents, officials, and the public.
- Supervise one to five team members in daily galley operations.
- Oversee the training for new hires and ongoing training for all galley staff.
- Monitor and counsel work performance throughout the year and conduct written performance evaluations. Coach, discipline, and/or terminate staff as necessary in a timely and appropriate manner.
- Respond in a timely manner to all concerns, complaints, and allegations. Conduct investigations with the management team as necessary.
Safety and Security:
- Comply with all CDC/FDA vessel sanitation requirements.
- Participate in onboard safety training, meetings, and drills as directed by the Captain. Including fire, abandon ship, man overboard, flooding, and medical emergencies.
- Maintain familiarity with all duties under the company Safety Management System including Emergency Response Activities.
- Minimum of 2 years experience managing a kitchen or galley staff.
- Minimum of 4 years of restaurant/banquet cooking in positions of increasing responsibility including line cooking and prep work.
- Good time management skills: the ability to handle multiple tasks, set priorities, and meet deadlines.
- Ability to get along with co-workers and support a team environment.
- Experience with passenger’s vessels is strongly preferred, but not required.
- Should be very flexible, understanding that due to the nature of wildlife and adventure cruising, schedules change on the fly. Adapting quickly to circumstances is essential.
- Comfortable living and working in close quarters with other crew members, including those you are supervising.
- Excellent communication skills, including the ability to effectively present sensitive information in one-on-one situations as well as comfort with public speaking in group situations.
- Maintain a professional demeanor at all times.
Required Certificates, Licenses, Registrations:
- Valid Passport
- CPR / First Aid / AED
- ServSafeFood Protection Manager Certification
- STCW Crisis Management(Company provided)(1)
- STCW Crowd Management(Company provided)(1)
- Medical Certificate or Physical Examination Report (1)
- Security Awareness VPDSD (Company provided)(1)
- MARSEC Card(Company provided)(2)
- Required for Safari Voyager
- Required on Safari Explorer Hawaii itinerary
PHYSICAL DEMANDS / WORK ENVIRONMENT
- Covid-19 –Our crew and guests are fully vaccinated (including booster when eligible)prior to boarding the vessels. The safety of our crew and guests is paramount in providing fun adventures and a memorable time for all.
- Length of Work Shift- Physically able to work 12 hours per day, 7 days a week for 6 to 8 weeks at a time. Rotations off the vessel are usually 2-3 weeks.
- Mobility- Frequent bending, reaching, twisting, kneeling, crawling, and pushing/pulling. Must ascend and descend stairs and ladders, sometimes while carrying tools or objects. Able to stand or sit for long periods of time.
- Handling/Strength- Able to handle, lift, and lower objects totaling 50 pounds between the ground/deck level to a height of about 4 to 6 feet, and able to repeat these movements. Able to carry these objects up to 100 feet continuously for 20 minutes.
- Environmental Conditions- Able to work in all weather conditions, around loud noise, in small spaces, and fit through a 28-inch wide hatch.
This job description is intended only to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by an employee in this position. It is not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills or abilities required of persons so classified or assigned. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
It is the policy of UnCruise Adventures not to discriminate on the basis of race, color, sex, creed, religion, marital status, citizenship, the presence of any sensory, mental, or physical disability, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, disability, ancestry, national origin, or veteran status in its educational programs, activities, or employment as required by law.