- Date Posted: January 20, 2022
- Location: , Grand Junction, Colorado
- Company: Western Colorado Conservation Corps
- Job Type: Full Time
- Salary: $2, 224 / month
- Housing Offered: Yes
- Experience: 1–2 yrs
- Website: http://www.wcccpartners.org
- Email: [email protected]
- Phone: (970) 730-2072
Western Colorado Conservation Corps
Position: Colorado National Monument Crew Leader
Location: Colorado National Monument (specifically for 8 weeks)
Western Colorado (i.e., Mesa, Delta, Montrose, Gunnison, and other counties)
Season Dates: March 7th to November 17th (Spring, Summer, and Fall)
Stipend: $1112.00 Stipend dispersed bi-weekly
Average Hours Served Per Week: 43 (6:30 am-5:00 pm Monday-Thursday, includes some Sundays)
Training: As an AmeriCorps service-learning program and to prepare Corps Members for work in the field, WCCC provides orientation and technical skills training at the start of the program season in addition to region or project-specific training throughout the service term. Focuses include outdoor leadership, Leave No Trace principles, technical skills for project work, tool use/maintenance, S-212 chainsaw safety training, first aid/CPR, herbicide application, trail building, fence construction, drivers training, procedures surrounding risk management and best practices, and creating positive crew cultures with an emphasis on diversity and inclusion. Some members will receive additional training with crosscut saws dependent on crew placement.
Overview: The Western Colorado Conservation Corps offers opportunities for young adults to spend a season serving on meaningful conservation projects throughout Western Colorado. Projects may include a variety of trail construction/maintenance, fence construction/removal, invasive species removal, fire fuels reduction, habitat restoration and/or historic preservation work. AmeriCorps members have the opportunity to earn up to $3, 172.50, in addition to a bi-weekly stipend, from an AmeriCorps Education Award (restrictions apply). Members must not engage in any prohibited activities as listed in the AmeriCorps Member Service Agreement.
The position also requires preparation time and post-session clean-up.
Essentials Position Functions:
- Leading a crew of 8-10 youth, 17-25 years old, in service along with 2 Assistant Crew Leaders.
- Leading service projects such as trail building and maintenance, wildlife habitat restoration, fence building and maintenance, and invasive species removal while serving with the 2 Assistant Crew Leaders (ACL).
- Coordinate with the ACLs to lead the crews during camping, cooking, recreation, environmental education, and group learning.
- Planning of recreational and educational activities, food and equipment preparation and maintenance, and program evaluation.
- Live, work, and serve closely with a diverse group of people.
- Complete 10 hours of project work a day for 4-8 days while camping in a variety of outdoor conditions, including inclement weather, for the duration of the season. (No prior experience is required).
- Must adhere to and enforce the rules and regulations of WCCC and AmeriCorps, which includes abstaining from the use of drugs, alcohol, and tobacco as well as other rules, regulations, and risk management protocol.
- Members must not engage in any prohibited activities as listed in the AmeriCorps Member Service Agreement.
- Responsible for all project-specific/crew-specific reporting.
- Participate in the evaluation process (number and timing of evaluations depend on the length of contract)
This position requires arduous physical activity in adverse weather conditions. Crew leaders must be physically fit and able to lift, bend, carry, push, and other heavy physical labor.
- Experience teaching outdoor and/or environmental education curriculum preferred and other leadership experience
- Excellent organization and communication
- Passion for an outdoor lifestyle
- Hands-on physical labor experience preferred
- Committed to making a positive difference in youth
- Wilderness First Responder (WFR) preferred
- Current driver ‘s license with an insurable good driving record
- High School Diploma or GED required (AmeriCorps), relevant bachelor ‘s preferred
- Must be between the ages of 21-25 years of age
- Ability to commit to the entirety of your AmeriCorps term of service with WCCC
- Ability to serve on diverse teams or with a diverse range of people
Unallowable Team Leader Activities:
- Signing member timesheets
- Evaluating member performance
- Disciplining AmeriCorps members
- Enrolling/dismissing AmeriCorps members
- Writing and/or signing program reports
- Managing the program ‘s payroll and budget
No experience necessary! However, you must:
- Be a United States citizen or permanent resident
- Be available full time between the dates specified on the Member Service Agreement
- Able to pass a pre-service National Criminal History check (State, Sex Offender, and Federal)
Supervisor Information: Tiffany Weimer – HR Manager