- Date Posted: April 29, 2023
- Location: Portland, Oregon
- Company: Portland Playhouse
- Salary: $19 - $27 an hour
- Housing Offered: $19 - $27 an hour
- Website: https://portlandplayhouse.org
- Email: [email protected]
- Phone: (503) 488-5822
Belonging: Portland Playhouse works to be radically inclusive onstage and offstage. We serve together. We rise together. We lead with kindness.
Gratitude: We are here by the grace and generosity of our community. We honor, join with, and are guided by those who came before us as well as current and future generations.
Courage: We challenge the status quo; we take risks. We listen and learn with an openness to change.
TRAINING: June 20th – 23rd, 9:00am – 5:00pm
CAMP DATES: June 26th – August 4th: Monday-Friday: 8:30am – 3:30pm
We are seeking energetic, kind, patient, and creative Theatre Artists and Creative Educators to serve as Day Camp counselors and Lead Teachers.
What you’ll do:
- Work with 2nd – 5th graders making plays, playing music, doing crafts, and supervising free play and recreation
- Lead creative games and activities, bring stories to life, and foster the Social and Emotional learning of campers
- Be part of an award winning Theatre Company, and work alongside professional actors and theatre-makers from Portland Playhouse
You will lead a group of 10-15 campers (ages 7-10) in a 6-week-long creative theatre camp. You will be assisted by a teen Teaching Assistant, and as a team the two of you will run all activities including arts and crafts, storytelling, music making, and theatre games. A deep cup of patience is a must and a true desire to play, create fun stories, and lead kids through their first encounter with theatre-making is essential.
- Lead theatre games and exercises, and devise student-led storytelling
- Provide mentorship and guidance to your teen Teaching Assistant
- Provide an inclusive and safe environment for all students.
- Lead classroom management and conflict resolution among campers.
- Attend the weekly ALL CAMP meeting (1 hour, paid)
- Working theatre artist or experienced teacher of creative expression to youth with 3+ years of experience.
- Ability to pass fingerprint background check, must be completed before the first day of camp.
- Education and /or experience working with children, ages 7-10 years old.
- Bilingual abilities appreciated.
- Ability to work comfortably, tactfully, and courteously with children, parents, and other staff.
- High levels of enthusiasm, energy, and compassion.
- Strong communication skills.
IMPORTANT DATES AND TIMES:
- June 20th-23rd: All Staff Orientation & Training Week – 9:00am – 5:00pm
Held at Portland Playhouse (REQUIRED)
- June 26th: First day of Camp
- August 4th: Last day of Camp
- We are following the most current OHA and CDC guidelines.
- We will be following PPS’s current (as of the last day of school) covid safety protocols. Vaccinations are required for all staff.
- Rolling interviews beginning in May
- First round interviews to occur via Zoom
- Second round interviews will occur in person at Portland Playhouse
Portland Playhouse greatly values inclusion and workplace diversity. We strongly encourage people with diverse backgrounds, particularly from communities of color and historically underrepresented groups, whose professional and personal experiences advance our vision to apply. We support equal employment opportunities for all classes of individuals, regardless of age, race, color, national origin, citizenship status, disability, religious creed, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, economic status, or veteran status. We are an equal opportunity employer.
To apply, email a single pdf of your resume and cover letter to [email protected]. In the subject line include the name of the position for which you are applying and reference where you heard about this position.
Job Types: Full-time, Part-time, Temporary
Pay: $19.00 – $27.00 per hour
- Monday to Friday
We will be following PPS’s current (as of the last day of school) covid safety and
masking protocols. Note that currently, masks are encouraged but not required for students and teachers. Vaccinations are required for all staff.
Ability to commute/relocate:
- Portland, OR: Reliably commute or planning to relocate before starting work (Required)
- Childcare: 1 year (Required)
- First Aid Certification (Preferred)
- CPR Certification (Preferred)
Work Location: In person
Please email at [email protected] for more details or Call us at (503) 488-5822 for futher communication