- Date Posted: March 14, 2022
- Location: Pelican, Alaska
- Job Type: Full Time
- Salary: $5, 000 / month + tips
- Housing Offered: Yes
- Experience: Some experience required
- Website: https://highlinerlodge.com
- Email: [email protected]
- Phone: (877) 386-0397
Seasonal Employment Opportunity for a Sous Chef at high profile SE Alaska Fishing Lodge!
The Highliner Lodge is a thriving, ambitious fishing lodge. As an expanding business, we are looking for motivated, honest, hardworking & talented individuals. The lodge is located in a remote fishing village. This is an entry-level position in the Alaska charter fishing business, with opportunities to advance and establish a long-term position within our growing company.
Please see our website: www.highlinerlodge.com for specifics.
The start date is around May 20th, our first fishing guests arrive May 26th.
You will work under the supervision and direction of the Head Chef. The job description will list items that may or may not be delegated to you by the head chef.
- Assist with kitchen operations: this includes taking inventory, storing food properly (with date & labels), cleaning and organization of all kitchen areas (such as refrigerators, freezers, counters, pots/pans, stoves, and ovens)
- Daily preparation of breakfast, lunch, and dinner for clients alongside the head chef for 24-40 guests any given day
- Client dinners will be composed of a four-course meal, this includes 1 appetizer, 1 soup or salad, 1 main course, and 1 dessert
- The head chef is expected to account for any food allergies of our clientele and employees and provide alternatives for them, the sous chef should be aware of any allergies and in constant communication about special diets.
- Kitchen staff will include (at minimum) 3 servers, sous-chef, and the chef
- The sous chef is expected to prepare (or be willing to learn) a wide variety of food items, including baked goods and desserts, and ensure that our standards are being upheld
- The sous chef is required to follow all health code regulations
- We have an open kitchen that is exposed to our dining area to promote interaction between staff and guests
- You must be very personable and capable of working well while in view and within distraction of our clients
- Yelling, arguing, and cursing is not tolerated in this area
- You must keep this area reasonably clean and orderly at all times
- The sous chef will work with the head chef, owner, lodge manager, or another employee designated by the owner to ensure that the owner’s interest in having a first-class dining experience at the Highliner Lodge is achieved as efficiently as possible
- Servsafe certification or Alaska Food Handlers Card
- Be confident in your culinary skills
- Able to work independently
- Able to clearly communicate with co-workers, managers, and owners
- Able to complete tasks on a schedule
- Outgoing and courteous with clients and staff
- Able to lift 60 lbs and in good physical condition
- Be drug-free and a non or very very light drinker
- Able to live and work in a close environment with co-workers
- Have good organizational skills
- Able to cook creatively with limited resources
- No drama!
Daily Schedule (split shift):
- Arrive at 4:30 AM or time assigned by the chef to start breakfast prep
- The dining area opens for coffee at 5:15 AM
- Breakfast is served to our fishing clients from 5:30 – 6:00 AM
- All fishing guests must be out the door and on their way to the boats no later than 6:20 AM
- Second breakfast is served at 6:30 am to the departing guests, staff breakfast is at 7:00 AM
- Break until lunchtime (once all duties are completed, typically 8:00 AM-noon)
- Daily lunch service for all staff at the lodge is served at noon at Rosie’s Bar & Grill (separate venue)
- Begin dinner prep and evening shift at 1:00 PM
- Pre-dinner appetizer ready at 5:30 PM
- Dinner prep varies from day to day, as the evening meals and appetizers vary, it is up to the chef to be fully prepared to serve a 4-course meal to our clients and the lodge owner(s) at 6:30 pm daily (crew will eat dinner at Rosie’s Bar & Grill)
- We expect you to serve visually appealing gourmet-quality dishes to the guests
- The sous chef is typically responsible for planning and prepping guest’s daily lunches every morning
- Lunches will be upgraded to meet a higher standard as per the owner
- The owners and/or lodge manager will collaborate and work with the sous chef to ensure they have all the resources needed to meet the production schedule and uphold a very high standard. However, it is the responsibility of the head chef alone to ensure that food orders and delivery of those orders are made within a time frame and in such a manner as to ensure that the restaurant has everything needed to execute all meals at a very high standard.
- A typical day starts with a split shift: 4:30 am to 8:00 am and 1:00 pm to 9:30 pm.
- You must be able to adjust and adapt to unexpected changes.
- We expect the workweek will average 84 hours for the Sous Chef
- We do not guarantee this. There may be times when you will be asked to work more or less than 84 hours
- Working hours are to be logged on a daily basis on a form provided by Highliner Lodge & Charters. We will request that you submit it on designated days or at the end of the pay period
- There are no promises of any days off
- At the owner’s discretion, from time to time, there will be days with a light workload, or days declared “off”
- Moonlighting: You may not work at any other company or for any other individual in Pelican before or after your normal work at the Highliner Lodge without specific permission from the lodge owner
- You are covered by Worker’s Comp Insurance while at work
- Off-time activities are not covered by Worker’s Comp
We expect superior performance from our employees, in personal hygiene, professional contact with our customers, and relations with other employees. The most important factors that we look for when hiring a person is a good attitude and a strong work ethic. If you aren’t willing to put in long hours, this is not the place for you. We expect good manners, good grooming, and a professional appearance above reproach.
- $4, 500 – $5, 500 salary (DOE)
- Share of tips (1-5% of the overall tip pool, paid at the end of the season)
- End of season bonus/performance, bonus/travel bonus
- Rehire bonus every year you come back
- Future opportunities to earn a share of profit and vested ownership of properties
- Room & board will be deducted from your monthly paycheck at a rate of $500/month
- Use of laundry facilities
To be considered for this position you must provide ALL of the following: Letter of interestResume3 Professional References