- Date Posted: April 7, 2022
- Location: Gustavus, Alaska
- Company: Lindblad Expeditions
- Job Type: Full Time
- Salary: $140 / day + tips
- Housing Offered: Yes
- Experience: Some experience needed
- Website: http://expeditions.com
- Email: [email protected]
- Phone: (206) 403-1647
The Sous Chef is responsible for assisting in the preparation of all guest and crew meals. In addition, the Sous Chef may prep, load stores and provisions, clean, and wash dishes.
Essential Job Duties:
- Assists the Head Chef in the preparation of all guest and crew meals following the Company menu matrix and recipes.
- Participates in the actual cooking and preparation of breakfast, lunch, and dinner; meat and fish dishes, vegetarian options for both guest and crew meals.
- Primary responsibilities include butchering, prepping, portioning, and cooking meals for guests and crew requested by Head Chef.
- Assists Head Chef in training, and developing the Chef de Partie, Pastry Chefs, other Sous Chefs, and galley stewards, by following company policies, and menus.
- Helps maintain the cleanliness of the galley area and food storage rooms.
- Adheres to all CDC Vessel Sanitation Program and Health Canada requirements.
- Assists in dishwashing as needed and/or assigned.
- Assists in the loading, handling, and proper storage of food and related items to maintain inventory at appropriate stocking levels and to ensure proper rotation of perishable and non-perishable food items.
- Participates in on-board safety training, meetings, and drills, as directed by the Captain, including fire, abandon ship, man overboard, flooding, and medical emergencies.
- Adheres to Company’s policy on uniforms, to promote the company’s image, safety, and standards.
- Participates in shoreside training as required by the company.
- Familiar with the ISM codes and requirements.
- Maintains familiarity with all duties under the company Safety Management System and Emergency Station Billet duties.
- Completion of formal training at a culinary school is preferred.
- Minimum of 2 years experience working within the culinary team onboard passenger ships preferred.
- Good time management skills; ability to handle multiple tasks, set priorities, and meet deadlines.
- Ability to step up when needed, and act as Head Chef should the need arise.
- Good supervisory skills sets, and ability to work with others.
- Ability to get along with co-workers and support a team environment.
- Ability to communicate successfully with galley team members; and office personnel.
- Ability to have guest interaction and communicate with them the vision of the department, and program.
- Experience with passenger’s vessels preferred.
- Current First Aid/CPR certification required.
- STCW Basic Safety Training preferred.
- STCW Crowd Management preferred.
- Vessel Sanitation Public Health preferred