- Date Posted: October 23, 2022
- Location: Moose River, Maine
- Salary: $12.75 - $15 / hour
- Housing Offered: Yes
- Experience: Some experience required
- Website: http://skylodge.unity.edu
- Email: [email protected]
- Phone: (631) 833-6056
The Maintenance Technician is a seasonal position for Unity College’s 150-acre Sky Lodge campus tucked into Maine’s northwest timber country in Moose River, Maine. The Maintenance Technician performs manual work necessary to maintain cleanliness, safety, orderliness, appearance, and repair of grounds, roads, walks, and buildings. Work is performed within established procedures under both written and verbal instructions. This position performs skilled preventative and corrective maintenance on building systems. The Sky Lodge campus includes a historic log-cabin lodge with 12 guest rooms and a 50-seat dining room, along with a welcome center, six cabin homes available for rent by the public, an educational facility enjoyed by the local community, and onsite hiking, Nordic ski, and snowmobile trails. Seasonal positions with onsite housing are available from January to April or June to October.
Unity College is committed to creating a sustainable world through global engagement and destination-based education. The environment and our natural resources are at the forefront of all we do. As a steward of the environment, the Maintenance Technician will envision new possibilities for the outdoor adventure traveler and for those who travel with purpose. Within the framework of functional leadership, the Maintenance Technician supports and is supported by other members of the Environmental Business and Sustainable Ventures team while working with all constituencies to realize the Unity College Mission and Strategic Plan.
- Works to establish a safe and healthful environment for guests, students, staff and faculty.
- Performs repairs and/or remodeling projects such as painting, replacing restroom fixtures, making keys, installing and repairing locksets, maintaining and adjusting hardware; prepares and hangs doors; maintains and replaces equipment such as toilet supplies, lighting fixtures, air filters, floor drains, faucets and flush valves; fabricates, welds and repairs equipment.
- Monitors, maintains, troubleshoots, and repairs problems with the building systems to ensure proper operation including mechanical, plumbing, electrical, life safety, and energy management systems.
- Performs preventative maintenance on air conditioning systems, water treatment systems, refrigeration equipment, roofs, and departmental tools, and coordinates and supervises work performed by outside contractors for maintenance and construction.
- Utilizes a variety of tools and equipment in the areas of painting, carpentry, plumbing, and grounds maintenance.
- Maintain the cleanliness of the facility grounds, outdoor adventure trail system, exterior of buildings, hardscapes, driveways, and parking lots.
- Performs routine duties generally associated with grounds work, including, but not limited to, mowing, edging, watering, planting and trimming foliage, preparing and maintaining beds for shrubs and ground cover, and cleanup of grounds.
- Performs regular maintenance and minor repairs on ground equipment and tools.
- Assists in the removal of snow, ice, and other debris from walkways, roads, and parking areas.
- Completes all tasks with strict regard for safety procedures and wears appropriate Personal Protective Equipment.
- Upholds green cleaning standard operating procedures.
- Picks up and empties waste receptacles, and replaces liners as needed. Recycles and composts in accordance with guidelines.
- Participates in routine safety audits.
- Assists with the management of minor projects as assigned.
- Assists with daily housekeeping duties including cleaning lodging facilities and laundry.
- Supports special events as required.
- Maintain confidentiality of guest and proprietary information, protecting company assets.
- A passion for the environment and creating a sustainable world.
- Maintain appearance and uniform standards.
- Works hours as assigned including but not limited to early mornings, nights, weekends, and holidays.
- Other duties as assigned.
- High school diploma or GED.
- Ability to juggle multiple tasks & projects with superb accuracy in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to look for, suggest, and implement improved efficiencies.
- Ability to work as part of a team or independently as needed.
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, safety data sheets, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals.
- Must possess a positive attitude.
- Excellent organizational and time management skills.
- Must be willing to participate in a learning environment.
- Must integrate Unity College values throughout all interactions.
- Ensures compliance with established Unity College: Sky Lodge policies & procedures.
- Comply with quality assurance expectations and standards as directed.
- Demonstrates a professional image to all guests, staff, and other members of the College.
- Knowledge of MS Office, including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook.
- Knowledge of or willingness to learn a computerized maintenance management information system and hospitality reservation system.
- Valid driver’s license with a good driving record.
- Ability to function effectively within a matrix organizational structure, maintaining open lines of communication while being discreet, courteous, and well-poised.
- 2 years of college.
- Custodial or grounds management experience.
- Experience with landscaping, mechanical equipment including plows and other power equipment
Work hours are specific to the requirements of this position and can include days, early mornings, evenings, and weekends. Working extended hours required as needed. On-call hours may also be required. Must be flexible and cooperative in fulfilling responsibilities and meeting the College’s needs. Although Unity College employees are generally scheduled to work at their specifically assigned locations, there are times when travel is necessary and employees are required from time to time to attend events, meetings, or work temporary assignments at any Unity College location.
While performing the duties of this job, it is regularly required to sit and talk or hear. The employee is often required to stand and/or walk, reach with arms, climb or balance, stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl and climb stairs. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 lbs. and up to 100 pounds with the use of designated moving equipment. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus. The use of either hand for repetitive movements such as grasping, grasping and turning, and fine manipulation is required as is the ability to use the telephone for internal and external communications.
Available onsite housing: a 4-bedroom house on the Sky Lodge campus. Each employee interested in housing is assigned a private room. Room assignments are first come, first served. There is a shared kitchen, living room, two bathrooms, assigned parking for one vehicle, and a yard. Utilities are included in the housing, with the exception of cable and telephone. It will be the responsibility of the employee to get their own phone and cable service and pay for the bills in their name. The employee house must be kept clean at all times and will be inspected monthly. No pets or children are allowed at this time. There will be a separate housing agreement, which will give more details about care for the house, and a security deposit necessary for occupancy will be provided for each employee to review before employment begins.
- Seasonal Employee Cost: Free, but a refundable security deposit is required (a small admin fee will be retained to cover the cost of rekeying).