- Date Posted: July 24, 2022
- Location: Gustavus, Alaska
- Job Type: Full Time
- Salary: $71 - $75 / day + tips
- Housing Offered: Yes
- Experience: Some experience required
- Website: http://expeditions.com
- Email: [email protected]
- Phone: (206) 403-1555
WHO WE ARE
Lindblad Expeditions is the pioneer in the Expedition Travel space, from taking the first citizen explorers to Antarctica in 1966, to opening the Galapagos and Easter Island to tourism in 1967, to leading the first tourist expedition through the Northwest Passage in 1984, to launching our innovative partnership with National Geographic in 2004. Now taking nearly 25,000 guests per year to some of the world’s most remote and pristine locations on our fleet of 15 ships, we do whatever it takes to ensure our guests experience the “Exhilaration of Discovery”.
ABOUT THE ROLE
The Deckhand is responsible for maintenance/cleaning of the interior/exterior of the vessel. In addition, the deckhand will assist with bridge watch/navigation, perform hourly security patrols including nightly engine room inspections, and will assist with general boat operations.
Must be able to work a rotating schedule and night shifts. Deckhands work an average of 12 hours per day with 18 hours off every 7-10- days, and 1 day (24hrs) off per month during their 6-month agreement.
- Sweeps decks, washes windows, empties trash receptacles.
- Cleans the public restroom and general areas such as bulkheads, lockers, etc.
- Primes and paints the vessel as assigned.
- Assists the Engineer as directed.
- Performs basic knot tying.
- Uses chemicals for cleaning and ship maintenance while ensuring personal protective equipment such as gloves, safety glasses, respirators, etc. are used correctly.
- May be assigned various special projects as per the Chief Mate’s work list.
- Handles lines during docking and undocking procedures.
- Assigned anchoring duties as needed.
- Assists the Bridge Watch Officer with lookout and wheel watch.
- Assists with lowering/raising and tying up/ casting off of the inflatable boats and kayaks.
- Assists with loading guests, staff, and crew in and out of inflatable boats.
Safety & Security
- Participates in on-board safety training, meetings, and drills, as directed by the Captain, including fire, abandon ship, man overboard, flooding, and medical emergencies.
- Conducts hourly security patrols including inspection of the engine room and lazarette.
- Serves as needed on gangway watch.
- Familiar with all duties under the company Safety Management System including Emergency Response activities.
- Loads/off-loads guest luggage.
- Hauls ship’s trash, laundry, and stores as needed.
- Pull, clean, and replace the galley mats. Clean the galley deck and wash any used galley rags.
DESIRED SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Mechanical aptitude and interest.
- Maritime/boating experience preferred.
- Good customer service skills; professional demeanor, ability to use necessary levels of tact and courtesy.
- Detail oriented and thorough; able to follow through on assigned tasks.
- Able to work independently using initiative and creativity to complete assigned tasks.
- Strong time management skills; able to handle multiple tasks, set priorities, and meet deadlines.
- Work well under pressure.
- Ability to get along well with co-workers and support a team environment.
- Current First Aid/CPR certification required.
- Valid TWIC card required.
- Valid US passport required.
- STCW Basic Safety Training required.
- STCW Crowd Management preferred.
- Current Basic & Advanced Fire Fighting certification preferred.
*A condition for employment at Lindblad Expeditions is proof of COVID-19 vaccine. Candidate must be fully vaccinated prior to the first day of employment.
At Lindblad Expeditions, we simply could not do our work without the diverse kaleidoscope of humanity that creates and delivers our remarkable offerings across the planet. As a Company that respects and celebrates the inherent diversity in the places we explore, we recognize the need to mirror that same diversity and all the interconnected perspectives within our organization. We are committed to building a community of different genders, races, ages, sexual orientations, chosen identities, and countries of origin where every person brings their whole self to work and whose skills, talents and abilities are valued. We believe we can explore farther and in a more meaningful way by actively creating a more diverse and inclusive organization where everyone feels they belong.
Lindblad Expeditions is an equal opportunity employer. Individuals seeking employment at Lindblad Expeditions are considered without regards to race, sex, color, religion, national origin, age, disability, genetics, marital status, pregnancy, unemployment status, sexual orientation, citizenship status or veteran status.