- Date Posted: January 17, 2022
- Location: Houston, Texas
- Company: SBP
- Job Type: Full Time
- Salary: Competitive
- Housing Offered: No
- Experience: No experience required
- Website: http://sbpusa.org
- Email: [email protected]
- Phone: (504) 256-1414
Construction Project Leads implement the construction efforts on clients ‘ homes and oversees groups of skilled and unskilled volunteers in rebuilding projects. They serve both independently and with other Construction Project Leads during the course of volunteer-driven rebuild projects. Construction Project Leads will also continue construction progress on-site during times with low volunteer engagement. During their AmeriCorps term, Construction Project Leads will be expected to oversee the rebuilding of 3-4 homes.
Applicants for this position do not need any prior construction experience. As long as you are willing to learn, are adaptive to change, and are excited to serve as part of a team that will lead a diverse array of volunteer groups, we encourage you to apply!
In Houston, AmeriCorps members may serve in SBP ‘s Opportunity Housing Program in addition to working with home repair clients. The Opportunity Housing Program provides affordable, storm-resilient, energy-efficient homes for sale and rent to lower-income residents, to help them build resilience before disaster strikes. With this work, SBP seeks to prevent future suffering for the most vulnerable by increasing the supply of storm-resilient, affordable homes. Building new homes in addition to repairing existing ones, SBP also helps communities achieve long-term recovery by building back neighborhoods destroyed by disaster. AmeriCorps members will gain valuable experience in how to redevelop neighborhoods and create housing that is affordable and resilient.
COVID-19 Safety Statement: SBP requires COVID-19 vaccinations for all team members. SBP team members closely interact with vulnerable populations. As such, we have an obligation to ensure that no team member poses a direct threat to the health or safety of our clients, themselves, or others in the workplace. All vaccinated team members will be required to submit photocopies of the front and back of their vaccination cards prior to onboarding with SBP.
- Maintain a clean, safe and organized project site.
- Ensure that each phase of construction is being completed on schedule and highest quality possible
- Communicate the daily and weekly goals to volunteers.
- Provide effective training and constructive feedback to volunteers who are completing insulation, drywall, mudding, painting, flooring, trim, doors and other phases of construction.
- Maintain a professional and positive attitude when coordinating volunteers and interacting with team members
- Serve as a liaison between the homeowner and volunteers.
Successful Team Members at SBP are:
- Aligned with our mission to shrink the time between disaster and recovery
- Coachable, curious and eager to learn
- Hard workers who are able to be successful with limited supervision
- Effective problem solvers or very interested in learning how to become one
- Team players who both communicate and work effectively in a diverse group
- Comfortable in a startup or entrepreneurial environment weekly with your direct supervisor to discuss each client ‘s case.
- Advocate for the client both to outside organizations and internally within SBP.