- Date Posted: July 24, 2022
- Location: Bryson City, North Carolina
- Job Type: Full Time
- Salary: $10 - $10 / hour
- Housing Offered: No
- Experience: No experience required
- Website: https://noccareers.com
- Email: [email protected]
- Phone: (828) 488-7246
For 50 years NOC has led the outdoor industry, taking more guests whitewater rafting and teaching more paddlers than any other outdoor recreation company. NOC also provides top-quality aerial and trail-based adventures, wilderness medicine as well as unmatched retail service, foodservice, lodging, and trip planning services. Behind NOC’s success is our staff’s commitment to our five core values: Lead by Example, Service Before Self, Do the Right Thing, Work Hard/Play Hard and Make it Happen. These core values unite a community of leaders and pioneers in an exciting, fun and always changing work environment.
NOC career opportunities offer a rare combination of work in beautiful locations, a chance to grow skills and to share a passion for active outdoor recreation. Ideal candidates are leaders in the workplace that wish to join a unique, values-driven organization. They aspire to excellence in their fields and disciplines and they demonstrate a commitment to the service of others. Above all, they want to provide guests with unforgettable experiences. If this sounds like you, we hope you’ll apply to join the NOC team.
Do you want to live and work in a beautiful area of Western North Carolina located at the crossroads of the famous Appalachian Trail and the mighty Nantahala River? Nantahala Outdoor Center (NOC) is a true mecca for hikers, bikers, backpackers, kayakers, canoeists, rafters, and all types of other outdoor enthusiasts. Our Retail Sales Associates are the face of NOC’s Outfitter Store and they provide our guests with an extraordinary customer experience by sharing their passion for the activities and products that NOC promotes. Ideal candidates for the Retail Sales Guide position are enthusiastic about the outdoors, passionate about customer service, and committed to NOC’s Core Values: Lead by Example, Service Before Self, Do the Right Thing, Work Hard/Play Hard and Make It Happen.
We are looking for applicants that are able to join our team on a part-time and seasonal basis, with primary availability during our peak season (February through August). Ideal applicants will be able to start working during the months of February, March, April, May, and June. Ideal candidates will have at least three months of availability to work, though consideration will be given to candidates with shorter availability based on our hiring needs and business demands.
We are especially looking for candidates to start working in February and March that have knowledge/expertise of hiking, backpacking, and footwear to help us with the annual Appalachian Trail thru-hiker season. We will be looking to hire additional Retail Sales Guides in April, May, and June; particularly candidates with knowledge/expertise of paddlesports (Recreational kayaking, whitewater kayaking, & SUP)
- Ensure extraordinary guest experiences with enthusiasm and attention to detail
- Politely greet and proactively assist all NOC guests that visit the store
- Offer accurate product information and make product suggestions to guests based on individual guest needs
- Process Point of Sale (POS) transactions accurately, efficiently, and in accordance with established NOC policies and procedures
- Promote the various adventure activities that the NOC has to offer, as well as provide information about the various outdoor activities available in our surrounding region
- Assist with product merchandising, stocking the sales floor, and other projects as directed
- Maintain store visual appearance and personal appearance standards
- Communicate with management staff to resolve store issues in a timely manner
- Facilitate a positive team dynamic amongst operations staff
- Other duties as assigned
- Prior experience working in a retail setting
- Cash handling experience
- Enthusiastic and knowledgeable about the outdoor adventures and products that the NOC promotes and sells
- Knowledge of Lightspeed retail POS system
Applicants must be:
- Punctual, dependable, and proactive in communicating work availability
- Ability to function as a team player, take direction, and also work independently
- Willing to learn about new products and the adventure offerings local to our region
- Comfortable in a fast paced and dynamic environment
- Effective at communicating with coworkers
- Willing to take ownership of the work you do
- Respectful of and adhere to NOC Employee Handbook and Outfitter’s Store specific policies
Physical Requirements and Working Conditions:
- Ability to stand for long periods of time
- Comfortable climbing ladders and stairs
- Ability to stoop, bend, twist
- Must be able to lift 40lbs
- Must speak clearly and concisely
- Comfortable working in a guest facing position
The above noted job description is not intended to describe, in detail, the multitude of tasks that may be assigned but rather to provide a general sense of the responsibilities and expectations of this position. As the nature of business demands change, so too may the essential functions of this position.
Please note that as an employer with over 100 employees, NOC will be required to comply with any OSHA Vaccination and Testing Emergency Temporary Standard should that standard be enacted.
The Nantahala Outdoor Center (NOC) is dedicated to the principles of equal employment opportunity in any and all terms, conditions or privileges of employment including hiring, promotions, termination, training and compensation. The NOC does not discriminate against applicants or employees on the basis of age, race, sex, color, religion, national origin, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic condition or any other status protected by federal, state or local law, where applicable. Furthermore, the NOC is committed to a work environment free of discrimination and harassment through respecting and valuing the diversity among employees and all those with whom the NOC does business.