- Date Posted: September 13, 2023
- Location: Death Valley, California
- Company: The Oasis at Death Valley
- Salary: $24.45 / Hour
- Housing Offered: Yes
Company ContactApply Online Now
The Oasis at Death Valley
Join our team at The Oasis at Death Valley as the Grounds Superintendent!
With over 3.4 million acres to explore, Death Valley is situated in the northern Mojave Desert in California and is the largest National Park outside of Alaska. With incredibly diverse ecosystems, sand dunes, mountains, and touting America’s lowest elevations – Death Valley is an incredible place to call home. We are a welcoming community of employees who work hard, share a real passion for the environment, and enjoy creating memorable experiences for our guests.
The Furnace Creek Golf Course at Death Valley offers great California desert resort golf, a unique golf vacation and an ideal winter getaway. At 214 feet below sea level, this 18-hole, par 70 course is also the world’s lowest elevation golf course. Palm and tamarisk trees frame the fairways and majestic mountains are visible from all areas of the course.
Rated one of “America’s 50 Toughest Courses” by Golf Digest, The Furnace Creek Golf Course at Death Valley offers golfers the chance to test their mettle against the low elevation, low barometric pressure, and perhaps even a coyote or two, that will make a golf ball dance in mysterious ways.
The Resort Landscape Manager is in control of all Grounds operations. This includes all operations for the resort grounds at The Inn, and grounds at the Ranch. Grounds responsibilities include all exterior spaces of the structures including lawns, streets, trees, sidewalks, hedges, planting beds, walls, lighting, porches, etc.
Position Type: Full-time, Year-Round
THE PERKS & BENEFITS
- Discounted Housing
- Free breakfast and lunch with $4 dinners in the Employee Dining Room
- Free WIFI
- Free laundry facilities
- Free access to pool, golf course, rec center, gym and sports courts
- Benefits are offered to full-time year-round employees
- On-site Training and Employee Learning and Development Programs
- Employee discounts on lodging, retail, and food and beverage products at all Xanterra Park locations
- Responsible for the selection, training and development of all departmental personnel including the ground crew and mechanics.
- Ensure that all resort grounds are maintained in four diamond quality.
- Frequently inspect property grounds to ensure adequate detail and correct horticultural practices.
- Continually upgrade property including landscape renovation and selection of certain outdoor furnishings to include plant containers, fencing and screening, plant material, and lighting.
- Debris removal includes weeds, trees, limbs.
- Coordinate the replacement of vegetation as needed in accordance with the landscaping plan.
- Regularly schedule tree trimming and shrub trimming according to best practices.
- Ensure staff are working safely and wearing proper protective equipment while performing their duties.
- Maintain close, productive working relationships with other resort departments as it relates grounds facilities.
- Administer corrective actions and improvement plans to staff members that are not in compliance with Oasis at Death Valley policies, procedures, and standards.
- Ensure that Kronos is monitored daily for the entire department, ensuring staff breaks are taken in accordance with California state laws.
- Manage computerized irrigation system and ensure that all property irrigation systems are working properly, and all vegetation is being irrigated properly.
- Keep and maintain accurate and complete records including, but not limited to payroll, inventory, water usage, maintenance procedures, fertilizer and pesticide applications, hotel, local, state, and federal training documentation, safety and environmental standards and laws and regulations.
- Conduct facility inspections and supervise/manage minor grounds /landscaping construction, restoration, and tree management projects.
- Ensure that all equipment is being maintained correctly and used safely and efficiently.
- Ensure the accurate and timely completion of administrative paperwork as is required.
- Ensure that OSHA safety procedure and Environmental Standards are adhered to, and that ongoing safety training is conducted.
- Maintain close, productive working relationships with other Resort department heads as it relates grounds facilities and natural resources, policies, and activities.
- Maintain proper pesticide and fertilizer application licensing and record keeping.
- Minimum 3 years of previous Grounds/Golf Course Superintendent or Horticulturist experience at a high level.
- Maintain a California Pesticide Applicators License or obtain one within the first 3 months of hire.
- A valid driver’s license.
- Demonstrated ability to lead and direct Groundskeeping and landscaping personnel.
- Budgetary management experience.
- Willingness and ability to work as part of a Resort management team.
- Strong attention to detail, passion for excellence and a positive attitude.
- Ability to analyze and solve problems; efficiently handle multiple duties under pressure with minimal supervision; work flexible hours as required including nights/weekends.
- Must be able to lift or move objects weighing up to 30 pounds.
- Must be able to stand for eight hours at a time.
- Must be able to work in extreme temperatures.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran.