- Date Posted: March 23, 2022
- Location: Salida, Colorado
- Company: Independent Whitewater
- Job Type: Full Time
- Salary: $16.50 / hour + tips
- Housing Offered: No
- Experience: Some experience required
- Website: https://www.independentrafting.com
- Email: [email protected]
- Phone: (608) 317-7730
Looking for something fun to do this upcoming summer?
There are numerous job openings for the upcoming 2022 summer season at Independent Whitewater! Independent Whitewater starts guide training on May 28th! Located in Salida, Colorado – IW is a medium-sized company that has been in business since 1979.
We are a local company with an immense amount of experience that is fortunate to have two private take-out/put-ins along the Arkansas River. One of our private access points is at the end of Browns Canyon National Monument, which allows our company to go two miles further than any of our competitors. We also have a riverside property that we utilize for training, camping for customers and guides, and are tiki bar.
There are two separate training programs that IW is offering:
- River Guide Training, May 28th – this class is for people who want to become guides and work for IW during the 2022 season. Training is two weeks in length, where participants will learn how to become competent river guides on the Arkansas River. Free camping and gear are included with the training.
- Private Training, May 12th – private training is a one-week course that is designed for people who want to learn how to safely and efficiently raft the Arkansas river for private or personal reasons, such as taking their family or themselves. Although this class will have some paddle guiding instruction, it will have a stronger focus/training on rowing. IW offers a 1 guide – 2 customer raft ratio – allowing participants to have an immense amount of time leading the raft. If it’s difficult for participants to get time off for weekdays, IW can work with your schedule.
For guide/private training, required training elements will include:
- *Rigging and maneuvering the vessel
- *River Currents, Eddy’s, Waves
- *River Hazards
- *Types and Causes of River Rapids
- *Scouting and Running Rapids
- *River Rescue and Emergency Procedures
- *Minimizing Outdoor Recreation Resource Impacts
- *Proper fit wearing and use of Personal Flotation Devices
Additional job opportunities available for this summer:
- Office Staff – The office duties include – taking reservations, light cleaning, organizing, data entry, and customer service. No experience is required, however, good social skills and personality are essential. Starting office wage is $16, pay raise dependent on the pace of learning the skills and experience. Part-time and full-time positions are available.
- Cooks and Bartenders – Located on our 5-acre riverside property, we are looking for skilled workers at our tiki bar and grill who have experience cooking and bartending. This is a food truck that serves classic bar food. $15 an hour.
If you are looking for a fun and eventful summer, surrounded by a family-type organization – shoot me a message for more details!