- Date Posted: July 23, 2022
- Location: Gustavus, Alaska
- Job Type: Full Time
- Salary: $88 - $98 / day + tips
- Housing Offered: Yes
- Experience: Some experience required
- Website: http://expeditions.com
- Email: [email protected]
- Phone: (206) 403-1555
WHO WE ARE
Lindblad Expeditions is the pioneer in the Expedition Travel space, from taking the first citizen explorers to Antarctica in 1966, to opening the Galapagos and Easter Island to tourism in 1967, to leading the first tourist expedition through the Northwest Passage in 1984, to launching our innovative partnership with National Geographic in 2004. Now taking nearly 25,000 guests per year to some of the world’s most remote and pristine locations on our fleet of 15 ships, we do whatever it takes to ensure our guests experience the “Exhilaration of Discovery”.
ABOUT THE ROLE:
The Pantry Chef is responsible for food preparation and assisting in the storing and inventory of food and related products. In addition, you assist and support the Steward in washing dishes and cleaning the galley.
- Prepares salads, garnishes, appetizers, dressings, cookies, desserts, etc. as directed by the Head Chef.
- Assists the Head Chef and/or the Assistant Chef in preparing food items as directed.
- Assists the Head Chef with supervising/training the galley steward.
- Assists with cleaning all counter tops and working surfaces in the galley, and clean the galley sinks and dishwasher. Able to be the shift’s dishwasher when needed.
- Adheres to all CDC Vessel Sanitation Program and Health Canada requirements.
- Maintains and organizes the storeroom, galley cupboards, refrigerators, and freezers.
- Assists/supports the Steward with scraping/soaking of all dishes, pots & pans, cooking utensils, and eating utensils in accordance with applicable regulations.
- Assist/supports the Steward in loading, running and removing items from the dishwashing machine and placing items in appropriate storage locations.
- Assists in the proper storage, wrapping, handling and display of food items.
- Rotates present stock, disposes of spoiled items, and replaces with provisions and other supplies as received.
Safety and Security:
- Participates in on board safety training, meetings and drills, as directed by the Captain, including fire, abandon ship, man overboard, flooding and medical emergencies.
- Adheres to Company’s policy on uniform, to promote company’s image, safety, and standards.
- Participates in shore side training as required by the company.
- Familiar with the ISM codes and requirements
- Maintains familiarity with all duties under the company Safety Management System and Emergency Station Billet duties.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Minimum 1 year recent cooking and/or food service experience.
- Good verbal communication skills.
- Detail oriented and thorough; able to follow through on assigned tasks.
- Ability to work independently using creativity and initiative to complete assigned tasks.
- Strong time management skills; able to handle multiple tasks, set priorities and meet deadlines.
- Work well under pressure.
- Ability to get along with co-workers and support a team environment.
- Current First Aid/CPR certification required
- STCW Basic Safety Training preferred
- STCW Crowd Management preferred
The Pantry Chef works 12 hours per day of varied shifts, approximately 8 weeks on, 4 weeks off rotational schedule.
This job description is intended only to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by an employee in this position. It is not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills or abilities required of persons so classified or assigned.
*A condition for employment at Lindblad Expeditions is proof of COVID-19 vaccine. Candidate must be fully vaccinated prior to the first day of employment.
At Lindblad Expeditions, we simply could not do our work without the diverse kaleidoscope of humanity that creates and delivers our remarkable offerings across the planet. As a Company that respects and celebrates the inherent diversity in the places we explore, we recognize the need to mirror that same diversity and all the interconnected perspectives within our organization. We are committed to building a community of different genders, races, ages, sexual orientations, chosen identities, and countries of origin where every person brings their whole self to work and whose skills, talents and abilities are valued. We believe we can explore farther and in a more meaningful way by actively creating a more diverse and inclusive organization where everyone feels they belong.
Lindblad Expeditions is an equal opportunity employer. Individuals seeking employment at Lindblad Expeditions are considered without regards to race, sex, color, religion, national origin, age, disability, genetics, marital status, pregnancy, unemployment status, sexual orientation, citizenship status or veteran status.