- Date Posted: July 23, 2022
- Location: Taos Ski Valley, New Mexico
- Job Type: Full Time
- Salary: $16.15 - $22 / hour
- Housing Offered: Yes
- Experience: Some experience required
- Website: http://www.skitaos.org
- Email: [email protected]
- Phone: (575) 776-2291
Line cooks are expected to prep food in order to set up all stations on the line to prepare for service. Ability to serve menu items while being compliant with the established standards already set in the kitchen. Responsible for following proper plate presentation and garnishing all dishes. Ability to broil, grill, fry, and sauté food needed for plates. A line cook will be responsible for maintaining a clean and sanitary work area as well as breaking down stations at the end of the night and cleaning at the end of the shift.
Experience in food handling as well as basic prep and knife skills. Understanding of proper use and maintenance of major kitchen equipment including stoves, refrigeration, slicer, knives, dish machine, etc. Minimum three years high-volume kitchen experience. Good working knowledge of the fundamentals of cooking i.e., sauces, soups, stocks, and cooking procedures. Can handle, store and rotate food properly. Ability to be standing for long periods of time.
Taos Ski Valley is hiring Cooks at Beginner, Intermediate, and Advanced levels. Pay starts at a minimum of $16.15 hourly rate is set based on experience, skill level, and attitude.
Cook positions span several levels of skill, all of which are responsible for the production of and quality control standards of food in a high-volume kitchen through peak, rush periods of service.
The nature of this job requires highly motivated, committed, and skilled individuals who can work with a team in a fast-paced environment to achieve customer satisfaction. You will be responsible for preparing and, using a full range of cooking methods and knife skills, cooking food consistent with recipes and what is printed on the guest’s ticket, ultimately ensuring that food comes out simultaneously, in high quality, and in a timely fashion.
This job description is intended to be a broad description of duties. You will be expected to carry out all responsibilities in accordance with the organization’s policies and applicable laws. Specific information on duties and policies can be found with your supervisor or in the Employee Reference Guide. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential job functions.
Qualifications & Knowledge:
- Ambition to grow into a higher position
- Working knowledge of the fundamentals of cooking
- Demonstrate the ability to handle, store and rotate food properly
- Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of proper use and maintenance of major kitchen equipment including stoves, refrigeration, slicer, knives, dish machine, etc.
- Ability to read and employ math skills to follow recipes
- Ability to communicate in a positive and productive manner while performing duties
- Ability to work a flexible schedule including weekends, holidays and evenings.
- Candidate must hold current New Mexico Food Handlers Certification prior to or within 30 days of hire.
Essential Job Responsibilities:
- Prepare all food items according to standard recipes and as specified on guest check to ensure consistency of product.
- Transport heavy food product from storage area to kitchen.
- Keep all refrigeration, equipment, storage, and work areas in clean, working condition to comply with health department regulations.
- Prepare daily production list based on projected business levels.
- Prepare quality food in a timely manner during peak rush periods.
- Reliable attendance on all scheduled work days.
- Perform additional responsibilities, although not detailed, as requested by chef at any time.
- Follow all recipes and portion sizes correctly to maintain ideal food cost and minimize food waste.
- Assist in the execution of any food and beverage catering or other special events.
- Follow checklists and other guidelines for opening and closing duties.
- Strong personal character and commitment to Taos Ski Valley, Inc.’s Commitments and Passions.
- Provides a guest experience that exceeds the guest’s expectations.
- Ability to gracefully and humbly accept criticism and opportunities for growth.
- Ability to stay positive, focused, and constructive when faced with setbacks, challenges, and while working in an ever-changing environment.
Must be able to work in a fast-paced environment. TSVI is located in a high-altitude alpine environment. Position may require travel on uneven, snow-packed, or icy terrain and may be exposed to wet, cold, and/or humid conditions. The Resort Center is a high-volume kitchen with multiple heat sources serving two different outlets. Wet surfaces may exist and sharp objects are located throughout the work area.
Physical Demands of Position Include:
Team lifting up to 50 pounds. 90-100% of the time will be spent standing, walking, reaching, talking, hearing, tasting and smelling. 25-50% of the time may be spent climbing/balancing, being exposed to the outdoors including winter weather conditions. Occasionally sitting – less than 15% of the time.