Based in Sandpoint, Idaho, Breakwater Expeditions operates 1-2 week long backcountry water-based wilderness trips in Prince William Sound, Alaska; Exuma Cays, Bahamas; Everglades, Florida; Upper Missouri River, Montana; Black Canyon, Nevada; Big Bend, Texas; Green River, Utah; San Juan Islands, Washington; Yellowstone N.P., Wyoming and the Yukon River, Yukon Territory. Our trips are a majority of sea kayaking, river canoeing, and ocean canoeing. We average 20-25 trips a year.
Breakwater Expeditions specializes in creating custom outdoor programming for traditional and therapeutic schools and programs, non-profits, and other entities that share a common thread. In addition, Breakwater also offers therapeutic and non-therapeutic single and multi-family trips. We have a wide range of clientele that expects extremely experienced and professional guiding and leadership
About this role:
The Breakwater Internship position is an opportunity for an individual in outdoor education to obtain unique guide training needed to advance into Lead Guide roles within our company as well as other outfitters. The internship will allow individuals to develop the topics that are of interest to them and hone in on developing the skills they have the least amount of experience. The Intern will learn and participate in the pre-trip planning, trip guiding, and post-trip procedures of our expeditions. In addition, the intern will be exposed to the administrative and managerial side of running a unique guiding company.
The ideal intern will have a positive and passionate relation to the outdoors and bringing people into nature through meaningful, goal-oriented trips. Appropriate candidates will have a desire to learn and grow professionally and personally, a love for travel, water-based activities (canoeing and sea kayaking), and an ability to work well within a team and individually.
This is a flexible internship and is able to meet the needs of the ideal candidate.
- Pre-trip logistics including but not limited to itinerary planning, food planning and packing, equipment packing, participant briefings (phone calls, video calls, etc.).
- On expeditions the intern will need to assist where needed based on the staffing team. This could include kitchen duties, loading and unloading boats and gear, assisting clients with camp set up, supporting group in good expedition behavior and teaching outdoor living skills by role modeling.
- Having and maintaining appropriate boundaries with clients and participants.
- When appropriate there will be opportunity to lead lessons and teach skills.
- Assist clients in staying healthy, safe, and comfortable in varying climates.
- Support during emergency situations and adhere to all local operating procedures, safety policies, and emergency response plan as outlined within the staff manual.
- Provide clear and effective communication with Breakwater management and staffing team.
- Possess a general zest for life and propensity towards laughter.
- Is highly comfortable in the outdoors and has a strong ability for self-care to ensure primary focus is on the expedition and its participants.
- Must be flexible and willing to accept changes.
- Ability to build rapport quickly with participants of multiple ages, backgrounds, genders, ethnicity, etc.
- Effective communication with participants, program staff, and co-guides.
- Social media marketing knowledge and content development.
- Experience with website design preferably with SquareSpace.
- Canoeing and Sea Kayaking experience
- Must be able to lift and transport 50 lbs. of gear and sometimes over multiple times a day.
- Able to work outdoors regardless of weather and season.
Perks & benefits:
- This is an unpaid internship.
- We will provide a gear stipend to spend at the end of the internship based upon the hours worked and trips assisted in.
- When traveling with Breakwater to our destinations, we cover all expenses to and from the trip destination and during the trip.
- Opportunity for a guide position or other positions within our company.
To Apply: Send resume and cover letter to Angie Roberts via email.
For more info, visit here: https://www.breakwaterexp.com/join-our-team
Email Address Hidden
Phone Number Hidden