- Date Posted: June 2, 2020
- Location: Vero Beach, FL
- Company: Pelican Island National Wildlife Refuge
- Job Type: Seasonal
- Salary: TBD
- Housing Offered: Yes
- Experience: 0-2 yrs
- Email: Apply on website
Expected Internship Dates:
January 3, 2021 to July 3, 2021
Pelican Island NWR will be the primary working location but there are many opportunities to gain experience at Everglades Headwaters NWR and Conservation Area, Archie Carr NWR and Lake Wales Ridge NWR. Work primarily consists of day-to-day wildlife management/operations of a national wildlife refuge, and support for visitor service and outreach programs. The critical elements of the internship include:
- Participating in various refuge programs.
- Assisting with visitor service and outreach efforts such as interacting with the public, guiding tours, presenting refuge related information, providing inputs to social media sites, and orienting visitors.
- Assisting staff with various responsibilities, including data entry, data analysis, and mapping projects
- Assisting staff with projects related to invasive species management, habitat restoration, and property/facility upkeep.
- Conducting maintenance duties of grounds and equipment such as mowing, weed-eating, tree trimming and cleaning of public use areas.
- Working with volunteers and staff in a variety of roles.
The intern is expected to work independently or with little supervision on projects as well as in a group setting with others, and have the capacity to administer proper monitoring protocols. Applicants are required to work in challenging field conditions and will be exposed to various environmental factors including snakes, bugs, heat, and poison ivy.
Preference will be given to those who have National Wildlife Refuge or environmental education and outreach experience, and willing to regularly conduct field work and maintain facilities and equipment on a regular basis.
Housing is provided on Pelican Island NWR in Vero Beach, FL and will be in a shared housing situation. The building is fully furnished and completed in Summer of 2017. An increased weekly living allowance of $210/week will also be provided.
For more information about this internship, and to apply visit website here: https://www.thesca.org/serve/position/pelican-island-nwr-internship-20202021/po-00730440