- Date Posted: April 3, 2021
- Location: , Mackinaw City, MI
- Company: Mackinac State Historic Parks
- Job Type: Seasonal
- Salary: Starting at $10/hr
- Housing Offered: Maybe
- Experience: 0-2 yrs
- Email: [email protected]
- Phone: 231-436-4100 x111
Mackinac State Historic Parks
Location: Old Mackinac Point Lighthouse, Mackinaw City
Start/End Date: early May-early June through August-mid October
Pay Rate: Starting at $10/hr
Scope of Duties:
This position serves visitors to Mackinac State Historic Parks (MSHP) by working as a historic interpreter at the Old Mackinac Point Lighthouse, an original 19th century light station in Mackinaw City, Michigan. This full-time seasonal position is responsible for interpreting the role of lighthouse keepers and their families at Old Mackinac Point in the early 20th century.
- Put visitors to Michilimackinac and other MSHP sites first by treating them with respect, serving their needs, and providing an enjoyable and educational experience.
- Interpret the history of the Old Mackinac Point light station, United States Lighthouse Service, lighthouse technology, Great Lakes shipping in the early 20th century, Straits of Mackinac shipwrecks, and the role of the lighthouse keeper and family in the operation of the station.
- Conduct tours of the lighthouse tower and interpret the grounds and keepers’ quarters.
- Participate in other interpretive programs and special events as required.
- Must be 18 years or older.
- Must have an interest in historical interpretation and be dedicated to public engagement and education.
- Must be outgoing, enthusiastic, self-motivated, and have strong public speaking skills.
- Experience with or interest in historic interpretation, Great Lakes maritime history, lighthouse development and technology, and early 20th century material culture and society is strongly recommended.
- Must be able to follow verbal and written directions, and be able to verbally communicate with visitors and coworkers.
- Must be able to work assigned position length. Positions work 12 to 23 weeks, will start in early May or June, and will work to Labor Day or through October; length of employment will vary depending on the position.
This position will require the employee to wear a wool uniform or other historic costume in all types of weather conditions, including extreme heat. This position also requires employees to regularly ascend and descend a 51-step spiral staircase and an 8-foot ladder. The employee must have the ability to do the following activities, with or without, reasonable accommodation: walking, sitting and/or standing for long periods of time, speaking before the public, climbing ladders, squeezing through narrow openings (approximately 2’ by 2’), and walking up and down steep steps. In order to carry out the duties, the interpreter may encounter frequent twisting, bending, stooping, reaching and grasping. The employee must have the ability to utilize ferry boat transportation to and from Mackinac Island.
For full job description, and link to apply, visit website directly: https://www.mackinacparks.com/employment/old-mackinac-point-lighthouse-interpreter/