- Date Posted: March 21, 2022
- Location: Monmouth, Maine
- Company: Camp Kippewa for Girls
- Job Type: Full Time
- Housing Offered: Yes
- Experience: Previous experience required
- Website: http://www.kippewa.com
- Email: [email protected]
- Phone: (207) 933-2993
Camp Kippewa is a residential summer camp in Monmouth, Maine, which operates from the end of May through the beginning of September. We are looking for an experienced Executive Chef to lead our kitchen team this summer, providing leadership, support and guidance to ensure that food quality standards, inventory levels, food safety guidelines, and customer expectations are met.
- Experience in quantity cooking and working in kitchens of similar size or larger
- Self-starter, capable of leading, directing, and supporting a team in a diverse environment with highly developed interpersonal, analytical and communication skills
- 5 years of experience in quantity food production/service and personnel supervision is desired
- 5 years of Kitchen management experience
- Professional culinary schooling and/or training
- Must be able to lift/carry a maximum of 50 pounds, push/pull a maximum of 50 pounds, stand, sit, bend and walk for extended periods of time
- Food handlers permit and sanitation certification (ServSafe) – Preferred but not mandatory
Responsible for the entire kitchen operation ensuring good sanitation procedures and safe food for our camp community. To ensure that three meals a day are provided family-style to approximately 350 people.
- Ensure sanitation in the kitchen and the quality of the food being served.
- Order all supplies for the kitchen through H&H Purchasing Company. (Using their “Purchasoft” online ordering system for local and national vendors such as Sysco, PFG, etc.)
- Coordinate any vendor questions/issues with H&H and Vendors
- Place orders with linen service.
- Ensure the kitchen is entirely peanut and tree nut-free and that nothing with nuts or nut products enters the kitchen. Nothing made on the same line with peanuts or tree nuts is allowed in the kitchen.**Any exceptions to this standard must be discussed and approved by directors before ordering.
- Ensure that three meals per day for the community are prepared and served on time.
- Order ingredients and oversee the preparation of meals for special dietary needs (allergies or sensitivities), maintaining separate preparation areas where required, ensuring no cross-contamination takes place.
- Order ingredients and oversee the preparation of meals to be sent out with off-camp trips. Coordinate with trip leaders on menu and timing.
- Prepare and coordinate “special event” meals occasionally during the season. These include, but are not limited to, cookouts, breakfast by the lake, International Night, and parent visiting days.
- Inventory and keep track of all stock items on a regular basis
- Check-in all orders and ensure that food is stored properly
- Keep all equipment in the kitchen maintained and in good repair
- Create weekly time off schedule for all kitchen staff according to employee contract
- Set the tone in the kitchen for work ethic and the highest level of sanitation
- Ensure that the kitchen recycles all recyclables
- Ensure that freezers, refrigerators, and dishwashers are all at the appropriate temperature and chart per ACA standards
- Evaluate the kitchen staff if requested by directors.
- Keep open and ongoing communication with staff.
- Meet with Directors on a weekly basis to plan a menu, review performance and expenditure, and discuss anything on your mind.
- Open and close the kitchen at the beginning of the season and end of the season.
- Assist with serving and consolidating the food after meals.
- Be flexible and understand that camp schedule and food requirements may need to change due to events beyond the control of directors.