- Date Posted: January 21, 2022
- Location: Auke Bay, Alaska
- Company: Above & Beyond Alaska Wilderness Adventures
- Job Type: Full Time
- Salary: $18 / hour + tips
- Housing Offered: No
- Website: http://beyondak.com
- Email: [email protected]
- Phone: (907) 364-2333
Above and Beyond Alaska (ABAK) is seeking exceptional Canoe and Glacier Guides to join our seasonal team in Juneau, Alaska. ABAK has been facilitating outdoor adventure experiences on the ocean and ice for 20 years and employs 35 seasonal team members from April-September.
Our guides embody Above and Beyond Alaska’s dedication to safety, customer service, and environmental conservation. ABAK Guides must be able to participate in a pre-season training program at the end of April to learn or develop technical skills, natural history knowledge, and superior customer service strategies.
The vast majority of ABAK glacier tours operate on the Mendenhall Glacier, accessing this magnificent feature by foot and large canoes. Guides will be trained in specific tours and technical skills that correspond with their ability level and motivation to grow. Additionally, guides will develop a formidable knowledge of the unique rainforest and glacial ecosystems and geographical features.
Canoe and Glacier Guides will also be expected to assist in support operations at our warehouse throughout the season. These duties include prep equipment/gear and food for trips, engaging guests, helping maintain operational zones, assisting the operations team with daily logistics, transporting guests, and fueling and cleaning vans.
General Duties Include, but are not limited to –
- Guide 6-10 hours technical hiking or canoeing for up to 7 clients while maintaining safety protocol, superior customer service, and providing natural history narrative.
- Facilitate tours in accordance with ABAK safety protocol while providing superior customer service and providing natural and cultural history narrative
- Prepare equipment and food for assigned trips, the process used gear post-trip, make repairs as needed, and maintain a clean workspace.
- Actively contribute to a collaborative team environment in the field and company headquarters.
- Provide transportation to clients in company vans to and from downtown Juneau.
- Loading kayaks/canoes and lifting heavy gear in all operational zones.
- Pack, clean, repair, and maintain ABAK outdoor apparel, equipment, facilities, and vessels.
- High School Diploma ‚Äì Associate’s or bachelor’s degree in preferred
- US Citizen OR Be Eligible to Work in the US
- Exceptional customer service skills
- Wilderness First Responder Certification or higher (valid through September 30, 2022)
- Driver’s License and Clean Driving Record for the past 5 years (valid through September 30, 2022)
Training: Glacier and Canoe Guides must participate in mandatory paid training at the start of the season. Training includes crevasse rescue, top-rope site management, canoe skills and rescue technique, glacier trekking and spotting, critical incident response, and zone familiarization.
Start Date: April 22 to September 30, 2022
$18/hour + tips
Bonus: Guides who fulfill the terms of their employment agreement are eligible for an end-of-season bonus.
Perks: Free use of all equipment (kayaks, SUPs, outdoor gear), free or discounted rates for most Juneau-based tour operators.
Living in Juneau:
Our landscape is diverse – when you are not kayaking to an uninhabited island or exploring the deep blue on a glacier, hike to the top of the Coastal Mountains on Juneau’s seemingly endless trail system or find a remote beach at the end of our road system. The outdoor enthusiast will find no shortage of activities to fill their free time, or companions to recreate with. We strive to schedule 1 – 2 days off per week throughout the summer so our team can relax, recharge, and explore.
We do not provide employee housing, however…
Juneau is a seasonal destination for government workers in the winter, and tourism-based crews in the summer. While ample housing is available for seasonal workers, the best opportunities go fast! Upon hire, we recommended pursuing housing opportunities immediately – we can help connect you with realistic housing options, and will do everything we can to help you find a place to lay your head.