- Date Posted: December 11, 2021
- Location: , Saco, Maine
- Company: The Ecology School
- Job Type: Full Time
- Website: http://theecologyschool.org
- Email: [email protected]
- Phone: (207) 283-9951
The Ecology School
The Ecology School is an organization that works hard to practice what we teach and to teach with intention. Located at River Bend Farm in Saco, Maine, The Ecology School provides a variety of programming including conferences, workshops, camps, and school programs. Ecology Educators work primarily within our overnight and day ecology education programs for elementary and middle school students and provide immersive experiences for participants of all ages. We are committed to making every program empowering, informative, and fun for our participants and pour our hearts, energy, and time into our work.
Our strong, supportive community of Educators live nearby offsite for the entirety of the term, allowing an opportunity to make lifelong connections with people from all across the country. The Ecology School’s team works to maintain a strong support system to ensure that our staff can deliver their very best lessons. An integral part of our mission is to use laughter and storytelling as a key learning tool. This means our Educators are wearing costumes on a daily basis to perform educational skits that help our students make connections.
We are seeking new members of our Educator team starting Spring 2022. A successful Educator is someone ready to invest their time and energy into making our community, programs, and the experiences of our visiting schools and participants the best that they can be. As an Educator, you will gain valuable teaching skills, as well as experience with, and insight into, a successful non-profit. We are looking for hard working individuals, who have a willingness to learn and desire to work with students as they develop their environmental and educational literacy.
A successful Educator invests their time, energy, and enthusiasm into providing exceptional programming and contributing to a dynamic and supportive community.
Educators receive a starting salary of $350 per week. Free housing is provided for the duration of employment, including weekends. All meals are provided during residential programming. Returning Educators are eligible for additional compensation up to $440/wk.
- Experience designing and implementing lesson plans and adapting content to a wide variety of different learners.
- A deeper understanding of your personal teaching style, strengths, and skill set through experience and feedback.
- Connection to our extended community of professional environmental educators who make up an informed, passionate, and fun-loving network.
- Continuing summer and fall employment opportunities
- Plan, prepare for, and teach lessons to a group of approximately 10-12 students generally between 3rd and 8th grade.
- Deliver outdoor lessons, including both day and evening programs.
- Attend and participate in meals (usually sitting at a student table to share the meal and to engage students).
- Perform various assigned duties (3-5 per week) such as breakfast or lunch dishes, recreation or dorm supervision, site set up, and put-to-bed.
- Work long, often strenuous hours, mostly outdoors. Residential days typically begin at 8 am and end at 8:30 pm with prep time.
- Drive to and from outreach programs on occasion. Mileage will be reimbursed and a car is not required.
- Attend all scheduled meetings, including all Staff Meetings, Teachers Meetings, and other meetings called as necessary.
- Participate in pre-lesson and mealtime educational skits and songs.
- Assist in developing curriculum, skits, and program materials for The Ecology School.
- Consult with classroom teachers and The Ecology School administrative team to make decisions regarding students’ conduct.
- Develop good rapport and positive relations with students, teachers, other participants, and fellow educators.
- Assist with weekend programs on an as needed basis.
- Live in staff housing with co-workers.
- Arrive with training in CPR and First Aid.
- Willingness to be a strong contributor to a living and learning community of ecology educators.
- Ability to work long, often strenuous hours, mostly outdoors, managing groups of children.
- Ability to adapt and problem solve in-the-moment.
- Experience working with K-8 aged children.
- BS or BA degree or equivalent life/work experience.
- Willingness to learn content and methodology and an openness to feedback.
Find the full job description here!
To apply, please submit an application (form found on website www.theecologyschool.org), cover letter, and resume to: Mallory Durkee, Program Manager, [email protected] Positions will be filled on a rolling basis and applications accepted until positions are filled. Apply Now!