- Date Posted: March 20, 2022
- Location: Juneau, Alaska
- Job Type: Full Time
- Salary: $200 / day
- Housing Offered: Yes
- Experience: No experience required
- Website: https://www.uncruise.com
- Email: [email protected]
- Phone: (888) 862-8881
At UnCruise Adventures, we work together to support and build a brand that provides an enriching adventure travel experience that inspires an appreciation of local cultures and the natural world. This means we kayak among icebergs, travel to hidden waterfalls, snorkel with sea lions, dive with manta rays and share air with whales. Our destinations include Alaska, Columbia & Snake Rivers, Costa Rica & Panama, Belize, Galapagos, Hawaiian Islands, Mexico’s Sea of Cortes, and the Pacific Northwest. Every team member plays a major role in bringing the adventure to life. When you join our team, you become an important part of our uniqueness.
The Deckhand is responsible for maintenance/cleaning of the interior and exterior of the vessel. In addition, the Deckhand will assist with bridge watch, navigation, perform hourly security patrols including nightly engine room inspections, and will assist with general boat operations. This position reports to the 1st Mate and will assist the Master in communicating and enforcing all company policies and procedures. In addition to reporting to the 1st Mate, the Deckhand also falls under the authority of any Officer of the Watch.
- Sweep decks, wash windows, and empty trash receptacles.
- Clean the public restrooms and general areas such as bulkheads, lockers, etc.
- Prime and paint the vessel as assigned.
- Assist the 1st Mate and Chief Engineer as directed.
- May be assigned various special projects as per the Mate’s work list.
- Handle lines during docking and undocking procedures.
- Assigned anchoring duties as needed.
- Assist the bridge watch officer with lookout and wheel watch.
- Assist the Bosun with lowering/raising and tying up/ casting off of the inflatable boats and kayaks.
- Drive inflatable boats as needed.
- Assist with loading guests, staff, and crew in and out of inflatable boats.
Safety & Security:
- Participate in onboard safety training, meetings, and drills, as directed by the Captain, including fire, abandon ship, man overboard, flooding, and medical emergencies.
- Participate in shoreside training as required by the company.
- Conduct hourly security patrols including inspection of all lower deck, mechanical, and crew spaces.
- Serve as needed on gangway watch.
- Familiar with all duties under the company Safety Management System including Emergency Response Activities.
- Load/off-load guest luggage.
- Haul ship’s trash, laundry, and stores as needed.
- Pull, clean and replace the galley mats, clean the galley deck and washes any used galley rags.
- Mechanical aptitude and interest.
- Maritime/boating experience.
- Excellent customer service skills: professional demeanor, ability to use necessary levels of tact and courtesy.
- Detail-oriented and thorough; able to follow through on assigned tasks.
- Able to work independently using initiative and creativity to complete assigned tasks.
- Strong time management skills: able to handle multiple tasks, set priorities, and meet deadlines.
- Work well under pressure.
- Ability to get along well with co-workers and support a team environment.
Required Certificates, Licenses, Registrations:
- Valid Passport
- CPR / First Aid / AED
- RFPNW Endorsement of II/4 (1)
- Medical Certificate or Physical Examination Report(1)
- STCW Basic Training (taken in the last 5 years) (1)
- STCW Crowd Management (Company provided) (1)
- VPDSD (Company provided) (1)
- St. Kitts Continuous Discharge Certificate (CDC) (Company provided) (1)
- St. Kitts Certificate of Endorsement (CoE) (Company provided) (1)
- Required for Safari Voyager
PHYSICAL DEMANDS / WORK ENVIRONMENT
- Covid-19 – Our crew and guests are fully vaccinated (including booster) prior to boarding the vessels. Masks and testing are also required.
- Length of Work Shift- Physically able to work 12 hours per day, 7 days a week for 6 to 8 weeks at a time. Rotations off the vessel are usually 2-3 weeks.
- Mobility- Frequent bending, reaching, twisting, kneeling, crawling, and pushing/pulling. Must ascend and descend stairs and ladders, sometimes while carrying tools or objects. Able to stand or sit for long periods of time.
- Handling/Strength- Able to handle, lift, and lower objects totaling 50 pounds between the ground/deck level to a height of about 4 to 6 feet, and able to repeat these movements. Able to carry these objects up to 100 feet continuously for 20 minutes.
- Environmental Conditions- Able to work in all weather conditions, around loud noise, in small spaces, and fit through a 28-inch wide hatch.
This job description is intended only to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by an employee in this position. It is not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills or abilities required or persons so classified or assigned. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
It is the policy of UnCruise Adventures not to discriminate on the basis of race, color, sex, creed, religion, marital status, citizenship, the presence of any sensory, mental, or physical disability, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, disability, ancestry, national origin, or veteran status in its educational programs, activities, or employment as required by law.