- Date Posted: March 29, 2022
- Location: Brewster, New York
- Job Type: Full Time
- Salary: $25 / hour
- Housing Offered: Yes
- Experience: Some experience required
- Website: https://www.spaceonryderfarm.org
- Email: [email protected]
- Phone: (646) 833-8159
SPACE on Ryder Farm, a nonprofit artist-residency program and organic farm located on the grounds of a 227-year-old family homestead in Putnam County, New York, seeks a qualified, enthusiastic culinary and hospitality professional to complement our growing onsite Residency Team.
- menu planning and basic recipe development;
- culinary process management (e.g., basic baking in advance; batch cooking from start to finish; labeling, organizing, rotating batch items; maintaining systems and consistency for the next shift)
- supporting the Culinary Director with inventory procurement
- detailed meal prep;
- cooking alone for a small group in an informal, open-kitchen environment;
- facilitating and serving during scheduled meal times;
- detailed kitchen cleanup and mise en place for next-day service;
- assisting with receiving/unloading deliveries;
- liaising and engaging with Residents and staff on a regular basis;
- occasional onsite event support, such as fundraising dinners or similar social functions with a food beverage component;
- other duties as assigned by the Culinary Director or Chief Operating Officer.
MORE ABOUT THE POSITION
This position requires working interdependently as a gracious host and SPACE ambassador, as well as a confident, competent cook. While SPACE is not a conventional hotel or retreat center, our day-to-day operations here can feel similar to a B B. As a key member of our small Residency Team, you will apply your technical culinary/foodservice skill set while also engaging frequently with artist residents, fellow staff members, new and returning farm guests, Board members, local contractors, and vendors. A background in counter/barista experience, bartending/bar-backing, brick mortar retail sales, banquet/event catering, summer camp counselors/support staff, childcare or cooking in private households, vacation resorts, or waiting tables is helpful and relevant here. SPACE’s unique brand of radical hospitality is rooted in warmth, acceptance, and humor, with zero pretentiousness and an emphasis on compassion.
Seasonal housing onsite (private bedroom + bathroom, shared living areas) is provided at no cost to employees for the duration of the operating season.
- 2 years or more of related professional culinary and hospitality work experience. Institutional food service experience is preferred but not required.
- Commitment to anti-racism and desire to continue one’s education in the field.
- ServSafe certification and/or similar municipal food handler’s permit. *Please don’t hesitate to apply if you currently do not meet this requirement. We can provide financial assistance for training and certification upon hiring.
- Solid knowledge and ease of execution concerning facility-related safety and sanitation. Our Residency Kitchen is a tight space that is visible to guests at all times.
- Rudimentary knowledge of standard workplace tech a plus: Google Workspace (Gmail, Docs, etc.); Zoom; internal instant messaging; online purchasing sites with multiple users within a single business account.
- Valid driver’s license with a clean driving record.
- Ability to work on multiple tasks independently with process integrity and minimal supervision.
- Knowledge and familiarity with sustainable kitchen practices including but not limited to: recycling and composting; preserving basics; FIFO and related applications; reducing waste and waste-conscious meal planning; utilizing and repurposing leftovers on a rolling basis.
- Standing, sitting, and walking for extended periods of time (6 to 8 hours); stooping, kneeling, bending, and/or crouching frequently during a shift; daily manual dexterity; lifting up to 25 lbs. consistently without assistance.
LOCATION: Brewster, NY (90 minutes from NYC’s Grand Central Station)
REPORTS TO: Culinary Director
FULL TIME: Seasonal, Salaried Exempt
$50,000 – $55,000 annually (Position starts on or around May 6, 2022. Season ends in early November.)
In addition to observed holidays, seasonal full-time members of the team receive 10 PTO days to be used for vacation/personal/sick time.
MORE ABOUT THE POSITION ORGANIZATION
SPACE’s mission is to create an environment that invigorates artists, writers, and innovators while contributing to the sustainability and preservation of one of the oldest family farms on the East Coast. SPACE has hosted Oscar, Tony, and Obie award-winners alongside Pulitzer finalists, Guggenheim fellows, and MacArthur geniuses for creative residencies in a peaceful, rural setting.
SPACE’s Residency Kitchen resembles typical household kitchens, with residential appliances and non-commercial equipment. While we maintain strict standards regarding sanitation and food safety, our kitchen environment is not comparable to a restaurant/hotel kitchen or similar professional foodservice establishment.
SPACE’s values are equity, inclusion, support, and radical hospitality. Our core values lead us to seek a broad range of perspectives and backgrounds to achieve our mission and to maintain an inclusive environment. As an equal opportunity employer, we are committed to employment practices that ensure employees and applicants for employment are provided with equal opportunities without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, age, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information or any other factor that is not related to the position. SPACE strongly encourages individuals from marginalized and underrepresented groups to apply.
SPACE on Ryder Farm is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer