- Date Posted: July 23, 2022
- Location: Gustavus, Alaska
- Job Type: Full Time
- Salary: $15 / hour
- Housing Offered: No
- Experience: Some experience required
- Website: http://www.visitglacierbay.com
- Email: [email protected]
- Phone: (907) 683-9294
About Glacier Bay Lodge and Tours
Do you enjoy wildlife watching, hiking, camping, kayaking, nature and/or fishing? Do you enjoy working with a small, tight-knit community of like-minded people? Do you have a can-do attitude, have a passion for customer service and teamwork? If so, working at the Glacier Bay Lodge may be perfect for you.
Magnificent glaciers, towering snow-capped mountains, abundant birds & wildlife, and mile after mile of pristine coastline. Glacier Bay Lodge, nestled under the spruce trees that line Bartlett Cove, offers the only hotel accommodations within the park. Enjoy time off submersed in one of nature’s finest displays of rainforests in North America, and the rare opportunity to see dynamic glacial landscapes firsthand.
Perks: Very low rent! Room & board are $15 per day + $100 deposit (payroll deducted) including housing and 3 meals. Flexible days off to explore the park and local native communities, work with a diverse team, and meet people from all over the world. Great mentorship with advancement opportunities to future lodging positions at other adventurous locations across the nation.
What does a Cook do at Glacier Bay? The Cook is responsible for cooking and preparing food according to recipes and production guidelines while adhering to food safety, food handling, and sanitation procedures. The Cook should safely handle knives and equipment such as grills, fryers, ovens, broilers, etc.
What is a work week like?
- Essential functions and responsibilities of the position may vary by Aramark location based on client requirements and business needs.
- Cooks and prepare a variety of food according to production guidelines and standardized recipes
- Sets up workstation with all needed ingredients and equipment
- Prepares ingredients by measuring, weighing, mixing, chopping, trimming, and peeling food items
- Safely uses a variety of utensils including knives
- Operates equipment such as ovens, stoves, slicers, mixers, etc.
- Bakes, roasts, broils, steams, and uses a variety of cooking methods on meat, vegetables, and other foods
- Arranges, garnishes, and portions food according to established guidelines
- Properly stores food by adhering to food safety policies and procedures
- Cleans and sanitizes work areas, equipment, and utensils
- Maintains excellent customer service and positive demeanor towards guests, customers, clients, co-workers, etc.
- Adheres to Aramark safety policies and procedures including accurate food safety and sanitation
- Ensures security of company assets
This job profile does not contain a comprehensive listing of all required activities, duties, or responsibilities. Job duties, responsibilities and activities may change, or new ones may be assigned at any time with or without notice.
Who is our ideal team member?
- Experience as a cook or in a related role required
- Validated knowledge of the basic principles of food preparation, various cooking methods, and food safety regulations such as accurate food handling, sanitation, and storage
- Must be able to acquire food safety certification
- Demonstrate basic math and counting skills
- Demonstrates interpersonal communication skills, both written and verbal
This role may have physical demands including, but not limited to, lifting, bending, pushing, pulling and/or extended walking and standing. This role may also require uniforms and/or usage of Personal Protective Equipment (PPE).