- Date Posted: March 29, 2022
- Location: Chicken, Alaska
- Job Type: Full Time
- Salary: $15 / hour + tips
- Housing Offered: Yes
- Experience: No experience required
- Website: http://chickenalaska.com
- Email: [email protected]
- Phone: (907) 388-2904
We are looking for multi-skilled individuals who want to work in dynamic forward thinking, millennial owned and operated business in the middle of nowhere Alaska.
Downtown Chicken consists of:
- The Cafe sells homemade baked goods such as cinnamon rolls, cookies, and French baguettes among other things. We also make burgers, chicken sandwiches, and pizza.
- The Saloon, where we serve craft beer, natural wines, and a selection of handcrafted cocktails made with Alaskan ingredients (we also host weekly community nights at the bar)
- The Chicken Liquor store, the only one within a hundred miles or so
- The Mercantile Emporium, a gift shop with unique gifts from all over, many designed by us. We also feature a mini second-hand gift store called “Ariadne’s Used Threads.” We like to promote sustainable products wherever we can.
- A Gas Station … not much to say about it, just a couple pumps to get unleaded gasoline or road use diesel
Chicken is a small tourist/gold mining community 40 miles from the Canadian Border on a road that is maintained 6 months of the year. No plowing in the winter!! Mail comes by small plane two times a week, weather permitting.
Downtown Chicken is looking for 4 additional team members to come and work in our lovely town for the summer. The job consists of some retail work in the gift shop, flipping burgers and mopping in the cafe, and bartending in the saloon.
- Cook and prepare a variety of short order foods according to production guidelines and standardized recipes
- Prepare ingredients by measuring, weighing, mixing, chopping, trimming, and peeling food items
- Safely utilize a variety of utensils, including knives
- Operates equipment such as ovens, stoves, mixers, etc.
- Mix house signature cocktails
- Serve beer, wine and mixed drinks
- Manage bar patrons and foster a positive drinking environment
- Maintains excellent customer service and positive attitude towards guests customers, clients, co-workers, etc.
- Restock gift shop, and record inventory
- Run cash register and credit card machines
- Make coffee with espresso machine
- Unload and stock, foodstuff, alcohol, and merchandise
- Sweep, mop, wash dishes, clean work surfaces
- Other duties and tasks as assigned by the manager
- Experience in hospitality or retail is encouraged but not required
- Must be able to obtain food safety certification and techniques of alcohol management certification—both are available online.
- Demonstrates basic math and counting skills (be able to count back money, etc.)
- Demonstrates interpersonal and communication skills, both written and verbal
- Requires occasional lifting, carrying, pushing, pulling up to 25 lbs.
Do you feel up to the challenge of living off-grid in small individual employee housing? There are no flush toilets in Chicken, only outhouses! There is a shower, though, and of course a washer and dryer.
Some cool leisure activities that are available in the community are hiking, kayaking the rivers, gold prospecting, getting in touch with one’s “inner-self” and taking a break from technology. We have satellite internet, but it’s not the greatest. Definitely plan on catching up on reading or finding other ways to entertain yourself.
The start date is flexible.
COVID-19: Safety first is our number one core value. We strive to maintain a safe and healthy environment for our guests and staff. Chicken Alaska Inc follows all CDC guidelines and practices social distancing and other CDC protocols. We strongly encourage all staff to get vaccinated prior to arrival.
Please email Max. Include recent jobs and also your interests. What's the last book you read? What do you do for fun? Feel free to ask as many questions as you want regarding the town, the workplace, Alaska, or anything else! He will follow up to schedule interviews.