- Date Posted: September 13, 2023
- Location: Raquette Lake, New York
- Company: Sagamore Institute of the Adirondacks
- Salary: $24.75 / Hour
- Housing Offered: Yes
- Experience: Some experience needed
Company ContactApply Online Now
Sagamore Institute of the Adirondacks
Pay & Benefits: $24.75/hr paid every 2 weeks. Free on-site meals and lodging are available. * (Valued at $31.80/day as determined by the NYS DOL.) Participation in Sagamore’s retirement plan after 1 season.
Great Camp Sagamore, a National Historic Landmark situated on a secluded lake surrounded by thousands of acres of undeveloped Adirondack wilderness, is searching for a Cook to join our Head Chef and Sous Chef.
The Great Camp Sagamore season runs from early May to late October. A competitive salary and on-site lodging are provided.
Working at Great Camp Sagamore
Great Camp Sagamore is one of the pioneering historic preservation efforts in the United States. Our National Historic Landmark property was built by William West Durant, one of the innovators of the Adirondack style of architecture. Set on the edge of a Sagamore Lake and surrounded by thousands of acres of designated wilderness, the 28 building complex was once the hunting lodge of the Vanderbilt family and is now a non-profit educational institution. We offer classes, workshops, and family events from Memorial Day through mid-October.
Great Camp Sagamore is committed to creating and sustaining a diverse, inclusive, and equitable work environment that empowers all staff members to grow and to be active within decision making spaces. We are committed to ensuring an anti-racist culture and a work environment free from discrimination and harassment. Great Camp Sagamore will not discriminate based on gender, gender expression, sexual identity, sexual orientation, race, class, color, age, ethnicity, first language, religion or belief, or family, marital, parental, military, or veteran status in any aspect of employment including recruitment, hiring, promotions, discipline, terminations, wages and salary, benefits, training, and professional development.
Sagamore serves three meals a day, seven days a week, for up to 80 guests and staff, served buffet or family style. The Cook answers directly to the Head Chef, who will communicate expectations regarding the safety, quality, and timing of food preparation, as well as standards of workplace safety, cleanliness, and camaraderie.
The Cook will assist in ensuring that meals are prepared and served on time and according to instructions and that standards of food and workplace safety and cleanliness are maintained at all times.
- A high school degree or equivalent. College work and/or formal training in the culinary arts are a plus
- At least three years experience working in a professional kitchen
- A solid understanding of standard cooking and food preparation methods, ingredients, and equipment
- Strong communication and supervisory skills
- Ability to be on time, appropriately dressed, and ready to work
- Ability to recognize and solve problems and adapt to change
- Ability to keep a friendly, helpful and professional demeanor toward guests and staff
- Ability to supervise staff
- Good stress tolerance and an excellent work ethic
- Solid professional reference(s)