- Date Posted: March 17, 2022
- Location: Juneau, Alaska
- Job Type: Full Time
- Salary: $250 / day
- Housing Offered: Yes
- Experience: Some experience required
- Website: https://www.uncruise.com
- Email: [email protected]
- Phone: (888) 862-8881
At UnCruise Adventures, we work together to support and build a brand that provides an enriching adventure travel experience that inspires an appreciation of local cultures and the natural world. This means we kayak among icebergs, travel to hidden waterfalls, snorkel with sea lions, dive with manta rays and share air with whales. Our destinations include Alaska, Columbia & Snake Rivers, Costa Rica & Panama, Belize, Galapagos, Hawaiian Islands, Mexico’s Sea of Cortes, and Pacific Northwest. Every team member plays a major role in bringing the adventure to life. When you join our team, you become an important part of our uniqueness.
The Pastry Chef is responsible for all baking, preparation, and presentation of bread, pastries, and desserts along with plate-up of meals, assisting Galley Utility if needed, and galley cleaning as assigned. The Pastry Chef will also (rarely but when required) assist the galley team with preparing crew meals and preparing savory items.
- Plan and oversee the production and presentation of all bread, pastries, cookies, and desserts.
- Prepare items for special diets as needed for vegan, gluten-free, nut allergies, etc.
- The Pastry Chef (on rare occasions) may be asked to prep or cook meals in addition to their baking responsibility for the day.
- Assist the Chef(s) with plate-up and clean-up of breakfast, lunch, and dinner daily; this includes supporting the dish station.
- Maintain accurate inventories to ensure appropriate stocking levels and proper rotation of perishable food stores; this includes the cleaning and organization of all storage areas in the galley, freezer, refrigerator, and storeroom. Work closely with the Chef to help create weekly orders based on inventory.
- Guest Interaction: Interact with guests in a friendly and courteous manner at all times. Escort guests to stateroom at the start of the cruise and assist in the handling of luggage. Participate in evening activities and in galley tours as directed by Chef or Hotel Manager.
Safety and Security:
- Comply with all CDC/FDA vessel sanitation requirements.
- Participate in onboard safety training, meetings, and drills as directed by the Captain; including fire, abandon ship, man overboard, flooding, and medical emergencies.
- Maintain familiarity with all duties under the company Safety Management System including Emergency Response Activities.
- Minimum of 4 years experience in a general kitchen or galley setting.
- Minimum of 2 years working with Pastries and Desserts.
- Good time management skills: the ability to handle multiple tasks, set priorities, and meet deadlines.
- Must be hardworking, flexible, and willing to communicate effectively with the Chef and other crew members.
- Able to get along with co-workers and support a team environment.
- Experience with passenger’s vessels is strongly preferred, but not required.
- Comfortable living and working in close quarters with other crew members for many weeks at a time, with no days off.
Required Certificates, Licenses, Registrations:
- Valid Passport
- CPR / First Aid / AED
- Alaska Food Handler Permit
- ServSafe Allergens
- Washington Food Handler Permit (1)
- Oregon Food Handler Permit (1)
- STCW Crowd Management (Company provided) (2)
- Security Awareness or VPDSD (Company provided) (2)
- Medical Certificate or Physical Examination Report(2)
- MARSEC Card (Company provided) (3)
- Required for vessels operating on the Washington/Oregon rivers
- Required for Safari Voyager
- Required on Safari Explorer Hawaii itinerary
PHYSICAL DEMANDS / WORK ENVIRONMENT
- Covid-19 - All guests and crew must be fully vaccinated prior to boarding a vessel.
- Length of Work Shift- Physically able to work 12 hours per day, 7 days a week for 6 to 8 weeks at a time. Rotations off the vessel are usually 2-3 weeks.
- Mobility- Frequent bending, reaching, twisting, kneeling, crawling, and pushing/pulling. Must ascend and descend stairs and ladders, sometimes while carrying tools or objects. Able to stand or sit for long periods of time.
- Handling/Strength- Able to handle, lift, and lower objects totaling 50 pounds between the ground/deck level to a height of about 4 to 6 feet, and able to repeat these movements. Able to carry these objects up to 100 feet continuously for 20 minutes.
- Environmental Conditions- Able to work in all weather conditions, around loud noise, in small spaces, and fit through a 28-inch-wide hatch.
This job description is intended only to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by an employee in this position. It is not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, skills, or abilities required, or persons so classified or assigned. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
It is the policy of UnCruise Adventures not to discriminate on the basis of race, color, sex, creed, religion, marital status, citizenship, the presence of any sensory, mental, or physical disability, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, disability, ancestry, national origin, or veteran status in its educational programs, activities, or employment as required by law.