- Date Posted: November 7, 2022
- Location: Austin, Texas
- Company: Casa Verde Builders - AmeriCorps Member
- Salary: $1,860 - $2,060 per month
- Housing Offered: No
- Experience: No experience needed
- Website: https://americanyouthworks.org/
- Email: [email protected]
- Phone: (512) 578-8265
Casa Verde Builders - AmeriCorps Member
Start Date: 1/11/2023
Work Schedule: Full time 1,700-hour term (1 year) or 900-hour term (6 months)
8 am-5 pm Monday-Friday
Education level: High school diploma/GED
Age Requirement: Minimum 18, Maximum 28
To apply fill out the online application and Select YouthBuild Austin, then Full-time AmeriCorps Member
Text 512-578-8265 for more information!
- $6,495 Education Award upon successful completion of service that can be used to pay for college or student loans (1 year term)
- Free Health Coverage
- Free Childcare at approved site
- Student Loan Forbearance
- Food Stamp Eligibility
- Free Training
- Career Counseling
- No experience or skills required, only a positive attitude and a willingness to work hard.
Casa Verde Builders, a program of YouthBuild Austin at American YouthWorks, is a national leader in combining green building, affordable housing, and education in Austin, Texas. Over the past 20 years AmeriCorps members have worked together to build over 100 green-built homes for low-income, first time homebuyers. We also do weatherization & home repair projects for low-income families in Austin and, in partnership with Mobile Loaves & Fishes, we are building micro-homes for chronically unhoused individuals at the Community First! Village. The work can be physical and challenging, but also focuses on teaching, learning and mastering new skills. We are currently recruiting young people from across the country and various walks of life to work together in a team-oriented service environment. Members receive a living stipend, health benefits, career counseling, and an educational award. Serving with American YouthWorks, AmeriCorps is both challenging and rewarding. It’s a place to learn, grow, and have an experience you’ll remember for the rest of your life.
As part of Casa Verde Builders (CVB), corps members will receive construction training in National Center for Construction Education and Research core curriculum, OSHA 10, & CPR/First Aid. Crews will work on new construction, tiny homes, weatherization and home repair projects for low-income/elderly residents. Members will assist as crew leaders of our YouthBuild crews, helping to organize & lead projects. CVB members will perform strenuous physical tasks outdoors in all types of weather. Members will be using hand/power tools: hammers, saws, drills, shovels & spray rigs, and may carry heavy material. They may be asked to climb ladders and scaffolding, work on roofs or in cramped spaces.
Casa Verde Builders AmeriCorps Member responsibilities include:
- Service with other AmeriCorps members to build, renovate, and/or weatherize housing units for low-income and/or homeless families
- Service with other AmeriCorps members to work on construction projects in Texas State Parks and Historical sites to improve the quality of public lands and local communities
- Promote the value of service on the construction site
- Maintaining a safe work site, by following all safety standards and wearing appropriate PPE on the service site
- Submit incident reports including “close calls” to program and site supervisors
- Serve as public ambassador for the program, The Corps Network, and AmeriCorps.
- Safe use of company vehicles as a driver and passenger
- Safe and responsible use of all tools including their care and security
- Completion of projects in a timely fashion and maintaining the quality of service work
- Calling on CVB staff members when support is needed or technical questions arise
- Submit incident reports for illnesses, injuries, or behavior that contradicts the member contract.
- Documenting service work by filling out project/mileage logs and taking pictures
- Wear required program uniform displaying the AmeriCorps logo daily.
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $1,860 – $2,060 per month
- Employee assistance program
- Health insurance
- Paid time off
- Tuition reimbursement
Schedule: Monday to Friday
Ability to commute/relocate: Austin, Texas 78741: Reliably commute or planning to relocate before starting work (Required)
Work Location: One location
To apply fill out the online application and Select YouthBuild Austin, then Full-time AmeriCorps Member. Text 512-578-8265 for more information!