- Date Posted: November 7, 2023
- Location: Richardsville, Virginia
- Company: The Salvation Army
Company ContactApply Online Now
The Salvation Army
Position Type: Seasonal
About this opportunity:
This position is responsible for supervising, planning, scheduling and monitoring the planning and delivery of program activities and events. Assists in the management of the overall camp operation at the direction of the Camp Director. Supervises all programs conducted at the camp through subordinate specialists for various programs such as aquatic/lakefront activities, nature, arts & crafts, horseback riding, bicycling, archery, outdoor skills/camping, challenge course and audio/visual. Designs and delivers program activities that are safe, fun and appropriate to the camper’s age and abilities.
- Supervises and monitors the day-to-day operations of the camp including the various programs conducted at the camp to include waterfront activities, nature, arts & crafts, horseback riding, bicycling , archery, outdoor skills/camping, challenge course and audio/visual; ensures that programs run smoothly and in compliance with established procedures.
- Performs all duties in accordance with prescribed regulatory compliance guidelines as well as American Camp Association (ACA) accreditation standards.
- Coordinates the weekly schedule of events with Camp Head Counselors and ensures that it is conducive to a pleasant experience for the campers.
- Supervises program specialists; instructs and trains program specialists in the proper methods and procedures for conducting sessions; monitors session plans for compliance with established program policies and procedures.
- Plans, develops, coordinates, implements, and evaluates camp programs based on changing needs of campers; develops programs or assists leaders in developing programs to target the enrolled campers.
- Counsels staff and campers in conflict resolution; keeps the Camp Director abreast of conflicts affecting daily operations.
- Develops, implements, trains and enforces program and safety policies and procedures; prepares and updates procedure manual; leads campers and staff in emergency situations.
- Assists with program staff meeting.
- Assists in ACA training of staff and ACA paperwork.
- Builds and maintains effective working relationships with campers, staff and other key personnel to facilitate a smooth camp operation.
- Ensures campers and staff follows safety procedures in all program areas.
- Oversees daily checks of area and equipment for safety, cleanliness and good repair.
- Provides recommendations and concerns to Camp Director regarding program specialists’ performance.
- Prepares statistical and other routine reports on a regular basis; provides the same to the Camp Director on a predetermined schedule.
- Works with the Camp Director in planning, coordinating and supervising activities related to programming.
- Acts as liaison to weekly program staff to assist with their program needs.
- Maintains clear and positive written and verbal communication with all camp staff.
- Participates enthusiastically as a member of the camp staff team to deliver and supervise evening programs, special events, overnights and other all-camp activities and camp functions.
- Sits with camper tables during meals and serve as a table monitor when needed.
- Keeps personal living quarters neat, clean and ready for inspection.
- Be available to participate and assist with camp programs and activities as directed by the Camp Director.
- Provides leadership and serves as a mentor to camp staff.
- Leads staff meetings as assigned by the Camp Director.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
What we are looking for in you:
- Two years progressively responsible experience administering and developing youth programs preferred
- Any equivalent combination of training and experience which provides the required knowledge, skills, and abilities
- CPR and First Aid Certification
Physical Requirements and Working Conditions: Some physical requirements of the Camp Program Director position could be endurance including climbing, standing, some bending, stooping, and stretching. Eye-hand coordination and manual dexterity to manipulate activities are required. Requires normal range of hearing and eyesight to record, prepare, and communicate appropriate camper activities/programs and the ability to lift up to 50 lbs. Have a willingness to live in a camp setting and work irregular hours delivering a program in the facility available. Operate with daily exposure to the sun and heat and varying environmental conditions.
To learn more about Salvation Army Camps, click here!
Why work for us?
Since 1907, The Salvation Army has been operating camp programs across the southeast region of the United States. Today, The Salvation Army has eight camps in the Sout and over 40 across the country. Working a Salvation Army camp isn’t like other summer jobs. You will earn an income, you will receive invaluable job experience, and you will make friendships that will last you a lifetime – but, unlike most other summer jobs, you will also powerfully impact the life of a child or teen for the better. At Salvation Army camps, disadvantaged kids (in particular) have three square meals a day, have the opportunity to further develop social skills, learn creation care, feel valued, and encounter God’s love. You will never regret saying “yes” to camp this summer. Apply for a Salvation Army camp and be part of something bigger than yourself: making lives better in Jesus’ name.
Camp Staff Orientation will be held 06/10/2024 – 06/15/2024 and participation is required. The 2024 summer Camp program session will be held 06/17/2024 – 07/20/2024. If you are unable to work the entire season, please let us know on your application.
All employees recognize The Salvation Army is a church and agree that they will do nothing as an employee of The Salvation Army to undermine its religious mission.
To apply, please select the “Apply Now” icon indicated on the job posting.
Application Submittal Period: 11/2023 – 06/2024
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against the basis of disability.
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Veterans/Disabled