- Date Posted: March 13, 2023
- Location: Portland, Maine
- Company: Seeds of Peace
- Salary: $18-22/hour
- Housing Offered: Yes
- Experience: 1-2 years
- Website: https://www.seedsofpeace.org/
- Email: [email protected]
- Phone: (914) 912-1501
Seeds of Peace
Seeds of Peace Camp is seeking a Camp Nanny to become part of our camp team this summer!
Seeds of Peace develops courageous leaders who work in solidarity across lines of difference to create more just and inclusive societies. We host a summer program at our Camp in Otisfield, Maine, as part of our youth leadership programming; by joining our Camp staff, you are joining a global community of changemakers and educators.
Seeds of peace seeks compassionate and dynamic individuals who can provide exceptional childcare for youth ages 2-12 in camp. Looking after the children of Camp’s full-time employees, Camp Nanny’s create a safe and nurturing environment where our youngest community members can experience their own summer camp adventures. Camp Nanny days are the best days! Filled with swimming, imagination, nature exploration, playgrounds, crafts, reading and maybe a little glitter and ice cream too.
– Provide and coordinate daily engaging activities that are age appropriate for children ages 2 to 12
– Provide intuitive, compassionate, responsible and safety conscious childcare
– Communicate daily with supervisor and parents
– Integrate children into regular camp programming and special activities/events when possible
– Coordinate use of activity spaces around camper activity blocks with Program Leads
– Develop daily schedules and activity goals (with lots of flexibility) with other supporting Camp Nanny’s
– Know, Advise, and follow safety protocols and Camp expectations
– Create spaces where youth are seen, heard, empowered, and kept safe
– Believe in the brilliance, power, and potential of our youth
– Maintain commitment to the Seeds of Peace mission in working towards a more just and inclusive world—especially at Camp!
– Be able to have fun yourself!
– 2 years of experience in childcare
– Current First aid and infant/child CPR certification
– Lifeguard certification a plus but not required
– Comfort in and around waterfront activities
– Stong communication skills
– Successful completion of Youth safety training and backgrounds checks (Costs & Training is covered by Seeds of Peace)
– Strong self-regulation, patience, flexibility and creativity
– Ability to lift and carry small children
– Ability to push/pull strollers, wagons, carts and toys over uneven terrain
– Ability to spend significant amounts of time outdoors moving over uneven terrain in various weather conditions
– Ability to work with diverse campers and staff of different racial, economic, political, and gender identities
– Willingness to relocate* or commute to camp daily
– Ability to work from July 2, 2023 to August 15,2023
– Full Vaccination for COVID-19 and Tetanus Vaccination (required)
– Valid Driver’s license
* All room and board expenses are covered by Seeds of Peace, daily meals will also be provided. Applicants must be 20+ to live in staff housing, Local applicants aged 18+ who would like to commute daily are also encouraged to apply.
Interested in this position, but not quite ready to apply? schedule an informational meeting by e-mailing info[@]seedsofpeace.org.
HOW TO APPLY
In order to apply for this role, please submit your application through our website here.
If you are selected to the next step, you will be contacted to schedule an interview. For any questions, or to learn more about the position, please e-mail info[@]seedsofpeace.org .
Seeds of Peace is committed to protect the children that we come into contact with in the pursuit of our goals, and the recruitment and selection processes for employees, volunteers, and contractors in contact with children will reflect this commitment.
Seeds of Peace is an equal opportunity employer. We strictly prohibit discrimination against any employee or job applicant on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity, and sexual orientation), national origin, age (40 or older), disability or genetic information, or any other legally protected class.
WORKING AT THE SEEDS OF PEACE CAMP
Seeds of Peace develops courageous leaders who work in solidarity across lines of difference to create more just and inclusive societies. We host a summer program at our Camp in Otisfield, Maine, as part of our youth leadership programming; by joining our 2023 Camp staff, you are joining a global community of changemakers and educators. Our unique summer program offers opportunities for intellectual and personal growth far beyond any ordinary job.
This summer, Seeds of Peace will host youth from different racial, religious, gender, economic, and political identities from across the United States in the first session, and from around the world in the second session.
COVID-19 AND CAMP
Seeds of Peace is monitoring the pandemic and incorporating appropriate COVID-19 precautions into our 2023 planning. Camper and staff health is of our highest concern. We will share and update COVID-19 protocols according to the American Camping Association and Maine Department of Health and Human Services guidelines and based on our 2021 experience, where we did not have any COVID cases!
DIVERSITY, EQUITY & INCLUSION
Our staff must not only be eager and ready to carry out their roles supporting youth at all hours, but also kind, caring, creative, and flexible people. Our Camp program will serve youth of different racial, religious, economic, and political backgrounds from urban and rural areas in the United States. We are committed to creating an inclusive Camp community in which youth see themselves represented in staff with similarly diverse backgrounds so that together, we can live out our mission. We believe that our camp environment is strengthened by the diversity of staff and of campers, and we welcome you to read the job details and apply to join us!
We realize that members of historically marginalized communities may not have had the exact experiences listed in the job posting. We encourage you to apply even if you are not sure if your qualifications are the right fit and share your story with us. If financial concerns are a barrier to your ability to apply to this role, please let us know. All room and board expenses are covered by Seeds of Peace. Meals throughout the summer will be provided. Transportation to Camp is arranged or reimbursed by Seeds of Peace.
If you are dedicated to supporting youth in building relationships across lines of difference and in creating an environment where youth are fully seen, heard, and equipped to make change—please review the job description and apply.