- Date Posted: November 7, 2023
- Location: Richardsville, Virginia
- Company: The Salvation Army
Company ContactApply Online Now
The Salvation Army
Position Type: Seasonal
About this opportunity:
This position is responsible for ensuring the health, safety, and welfare of those using the aquatics facilities at c& provides constant surveillance of pool activities; observes swimmers and enforces regulations in the guarding of life and the prevention of accidents; maintains the cleanliness of the pool and pool area; monitors and controls the chemical levels of pool water ensuring proper levels are maintained at all times; prepares pool records in an accurate and complete manner.
- Serves as the lead worker to other Lifeguard staff; trains staff; answers staff questions and disseminates information on behalf of the Camp Director, Program Director and/or Camp Manager/Caretaker; bring any staff issues to Program Director as they occur.
- Maintains constant surveillance of members, guests, and visitors of the aquatics facility; acts immediately and appropriately to secure the safety of same in the event of an emergency.
- Gives group and individual swim lessons as booked following standard training techniques.
- Directs and supervises the activities and behavior of all swimmers to ensure compliance with pool safety rules; interacts with all members, visitors and guests in a respectful, professional, and positive manner.
- Provides emergency lifesaving assistance to troubled or drowning swimmers; performs lifesaving C.P.R. and first aid in accordance with certified practices and procedures; contacts emergency medical assistance when needed; stays with victims until emergency medical assistance takes over care of victim.
- Maintains the cleanliness of the pool water; vacuums bottom of pool surface; scrubs side walls; back washes filter system; checks filter gauges and regulates water level and temperature of pool.
- Tests the pool water Ph level and chlorine level as scheduled in order to ensure correct chemical balance of pool water; dispenses chemicals into the pool as needed.
- Maintains neatness and cleanliness of pool deck area and pool deck furnishings; collects and disposes of trash; maintains a neat and orderly pool office.
- Ensures the accountability, security and safety of children participating in aquatics activities; reports all accidents to the supervisor in an accurate and timely manner.
- Exhibits control of the children and, when needed, displays proper discipline techniques.
- Administers basic first aid as necessary; reports any health issues with supervisor in accordance to policies and procedures.
- Plans and implements alternative programming for campers when use of pool during swim times is not possible.
- Participates in other aspects of camp program as required such as evening program activities.
What we are looking for in you:
- High School Diploma or G.E.D.
- One year experience working as a lifeguard,
- Any equivalent combination of training and experience which provides the required knowledge, skills, and abilities.
- LGI Certification (or ability to obtain within established timeframe)
- C.P.R., First Aid, and A.E.D. Certification (or ability to obtain within established timeframe)
- WSI Certification (preferred)
Physical Requirements and Working Conditions: Ability to meet attendance requirements. The ability to read, write, and communicate the English language effectively. The ability to swim and perform life saving activities. Duties are usually performed by combinations of sitting, standing and walking on a frequent change basis. Moderate amount of physical effort required associated with walking, standing, lifting, bending, twisting, and carrying light to moderately objects (up to 50 lbs.) occasionally.
To learn more about Salvation Army Camps, click here!
Why work for us?
Since 1907, The Salvation Army has been operating camp programs across the southeast region of the United States. Today, The Salvation Army has eight camps in the Sout and over 40 across the country. Working a Salvation Army camp isn’t like other summer jobs. You will earn an income, you will receive invaluable job experience, and you will make friendships that will last you a lifetime – but, unlike most other summer jobs, you will also powerfully impact the life of a child or teen for the better. At Salvation Army camps, disadvantaged kids (in particular) have three square meals a day, have the opportunity to further develop social skills, learn creation care, feel valued, and encounter God’s love. You will never regret saying “yes” to camp this summer. Apply for a Salvation Army camp and be part of something bigger than yourself: making lives better in Jesus’ name.
Camp Staff Orientation will be held 06/10/2024 – 06/15/2024 and participation is required. The 2024 summer Camp program session will be held 06/17/2024 – 07/20/2024. If you are unable to work the entire season, please let us know on your application.
All employees recognize The Salvation Army is a church and agree that they will do nothing as an employee of The Salvation Army to undermine its religious mission.
To apply, please select the “Apply Now” icon indicated on the job posting.
Application Submittal Period: 11/2023 – 06/2024
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against the basis of disability.
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Veterans/Disabled