- Date Posted: November 7, 2023
- Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
- Company: Girl Scouts of Utah
- Salary: $45,000 - $48,000 a year
Company ContactApply Online Now
Girl Scouts of Utah
Girl Scouts of Utah is hiring a full-time Camp Director/Outdoor Program Specialist
Do you want to be a part of an organization that makes a difference in the lives of others? Do you enjoy working outdoors? Are you able to solve problems and resolve conflicts in an effective manner? Do you enjoy working with adult volunteers and staff? Do you have exceptional oral skills?
If you answered yes to these questions, we want to hear from you.
ABOUT GIRL SCOUTS OF UTAH (GSU)
GSU’s mission is to build girls of courage, confidence, and character, who make the world a better place. The Girl Scout leadership activities are organized around 3 keys of leadership: Discover, Connect, and Take Action, and are based on the values of the Girl Scout Promise and Law.
GSU offers competitive wages, excellent medical, dental, vision, life, and supplemental insurance, along with a 401(k) with up to a 4% match that is vested immediately. GSU also offers generous paid time off which includes 13 holidays, 15 vacation days, and 12 sick days. In addition, GSU closes the week between Christmas and New Years’ Day with pay.
A DAY IN THE LIFE OF A CAMP DIRECTOR / OUTDOOR PROGRAM SPECIALIST
The Outdoor Program Specialist / Camp Director will administer outdoor programming through overnight camp at Camp Cloud Rim in Park City, UT during the summer months and other year-round camp programs. The Camp Director will perform the planning and day-to-day administration of overnight camp during the summer months, oversee camp staff, campers, and manage the operations of Camp Cloud Rim.
- Develop, deliver, and maintain outdoor-related programs during the school year for Girl Scouts K-12 and their families. These programs include: minicamps, Never the Same Weekends, and troop rentals at GSU ‘s camp properties as well as high adventure programming off-site.
- Curriculum for these programs will be built off the Girl Scout Leadership Experience model using the Girl Scout badges and Journeys.
- Develop, deliver, and maintain outdoor-related curriculum for Girl Scout volunteers to use with their troops.
- Direct Camp Cloud Rim in Park City, UT. Live on-site as the Camp Director during the summer months (June-August)
- Hire, train, supervise, and manage seasonal camp and event staff.
- Work collaboratively with the Camp Ranger to ensure that camp program and property are providing facilities to support outdoor program.
- Implement outcome-based programming according to the Girl Scout Program model.
- Assist with GSU signature events such as Camporee, Camping for a Cause, and support GSUSA with outdoor initiatives.
- Ensure compliance with the GSUSA and American Camp Association program/site standards at all times.
- In collaboration with the Program Manager, create and track the annual budget with rationale for overnight camp and year-round camp programing.
- Work collaboratively with the Program and Property teams to develop and manage short and long-range plans for outdoor program.
- Maintain confidentiality in working with camp staff and program participants.
- Interpret and promote Girl Scouting to community groups, demonstrating ability to articulate the Girl Scout Mission, program goals, council objectives, and outdoor progression programs.
- Support cross-functional teams in developing creative content and experiences for girls.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
REQUIREMENTS FOR CAMP DIRECTOR / OUTDOOR PROGRAM SPECIALIST
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience in outdoor progression, outdoor summer camps, or program development
- Experience working effectively with adult volunteers and staff in nonprofit and multicultural settings
- Demonstrated abilities in planning, managing multiple priorities, programming, supervising, marketing, speaking to groups, and budgeting
- Ability to effectively problem solve by identifying and resolving problems in a timely manner, gather and analyze information, and maintain confidentiality
- Exceptional oral communication skills with the ability to speak clearly in positive or negative situations
- Demonstrated ability to resolve internal staff conflicts and deescalate difficult situations
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite, internet research, and ATS systems
- Experience in seasonal/event staff recruitment and training
- Willingness and physical ability to live at Camp Cloud Rim full-time during the summer camp season
- Willingness to work evenings and weekends.
- Ability to live (walk, run, jog) at a high mountain elevation (9,000 ft elevation) in semi-primitive conditions; very rugged terrain and rocky ground
- Ability to sit at a workstation and view a computer screen for up to 2 hours at a time
- Must be able to maintain basic and instructor level certifications in First Aid, CPR, Wilderness Remote First Aid, Lifeguarding, Small Craft Safety, and Food Safety Manager certification
- Must be able to complete the requirements for the American Camp Association Basic Camp Director Course
- Some travel in Utah is required. Must have reliable vehicle for transportation, current driver’s license, and automobile insurance
- This position requires the moving, lifting, stocking, and carrying of boxes, furniture, and supplies. Must be able to bend down, lift, and carry up to 50 pounds
Our Commitment to Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, and Racial Justice
Girl Scouts of Utah embraces a pluralistic movement committed to understanding our similarities and differences, building relationships, and promoting a dialogue of acceptance and respect. We believe we are stronger when we include diverse perspectives, experiences, and approaches.
Statistically women, specifically women of color, only apply for jobs for which they meet all qualifications. In an effort to increase diversity and equity in our hiring process, we encourage you to apply even if you don’t meet all posted requirements.