- Date Posted: November 7, 2023
- Location: Cupertino, California
- Company: Via West
- Salary: $6,500 a month
Company ContactApply Online Now
Summer Camp Counselor
AbilityPath and Camp Via West are hiring Summer Camp Counselors for our camp for children and adults with disabilities.
Assists campers with personal care needs, encourages participation in camp programs, and facilitate opportunities for campers social/emotional well-being.
Summer Compensation: $6,500 + Early Sign on Bonus of $250 through 1/31/24
Camp Via West has been serving the Bay Area and beyond since 1945. Our camp is located on a beautiful 13.5 acre campus nestled in the Redwoods of Cupertino Foothills in California. We offer a wide variety of respite and innovative camp programming for children and adults with disabilities (autism, cerebral palsy, Down syndrome and others) to learn new skills, develop meaningful relationships, build confidence and more… all while enjoying the great outdoors! Camp Via West became affiliated with Abilitypath as of July 1st 2022 making us one of the largest providers of services for individuals with disabilities
WHAT WE OFFER:
At Camp Via West, we support a well-rounded career experience with a focus on career development, collaboration, employee wellness, and employee recognition, including the below benefits and opportunities for staff:
- Live and work in the beautiful foothills of Silicon Valley, California this summer!
- Free housing and delicious meals
- Competitive Summer Pay
- Early signing bonus of $250 through end of January
- Local Transportation to Camp available (from local airports, train station, etc.)
- Meet new people, opportunities for day trips on your days off
WHAT WE VALUE:
- Passion for the mission
- Interest in working with children with intellectual and developmental disabilities
- Living and working in a residential camp setting with coworkers and campers with respect for each other, the land that we walk and the surrounding community
- Teamwork and collaboration
- Effective and open communication, thoughtfulness, and ability to adapt
- Shared commitment to DEI in creating a community where all members can represent themselves authentically
- Great for folks interested in careers in occupational therapy, speech therapy, Social Work/Human Services, education, nursing/medical careers, Recreation Therapy, and other related fields.
Looking to just have a great summer and opportunity to meet others? Come join us!
We strongly encourage BIPOC, LGBTQ+, disabled, and any multiply marginalized people to apply. AbilityPath is committed to recruiting and retaining diversity among our staff teams.
ABOUT THE ROLE:
Summer commitment is June 10th – August 16th, 2024
Summer Pay is $6,500; apply by 1/31/2024 and if hired, you will receive an early sign-on bonus of $250
- Greet campers and their families during registration with enthusiasm, establish a good connection at check-in and informing care givers of their loved one’s experience at check-out
- Accompany campers to meals and rotate through activities
- Participate in camp activities to encourage participation and great camper experiences.
- Perform tasks throughout the day and evening as required for campers and daily operations. Long camp days require endurance to maintain high level of energy and enthusiasm through extended hours of activity and supervision
- Assist in completing daily personal hygiene and grooming for Children and Adults with disabilities (including personal hygiene, changing clothes, grooming, toileting, diaper changing, etc) *training will be provided to all staff
- Complete necessary paperwork and documentation
- If assigned, report to sleep night duty or breaking duty to ensure the safety of campers overnight
Prepare for an Interview:
- Please visit our website: https://viaservices.org/services/via-west/
and watch these two short videos as an introduction to our camp:
- A day in the life at Via West: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gps25PmGwgk&t=5s
- A tour of Camp: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3AMj6fCMh2c
EDUCATION AND WORK EXPERIENCE:
In our approach to inclusive hiring, we recognize that job qualifications within hiring policies have been used to exclude candidates from marginalized backgrounds. Below is a list of Education and Work Experience that would be helpful to have in this role, however, we encourage you to apply even if you may not meet all of the listed qualifications, as any combination of lived and learned education and experience can make you a successful candidate. *Please note that some of these are legal requirements to perform this role, these have been marked with and asterisk
- at least 18 years of age*
Other desirable experience and qualifications but not required:
• Previous leadership experience (preferred but not required)
- Previous experience working with individuals with intellectual/developmental disabilities. (preferred but not required)
- Previous experience working at a residential camp (not required)
- Previous experience assisting individuals with Activities of Daily Living (ADL’s) (personal hygiene, changing clothes, grooming, toileting, diaper changing, etc.) not required, training to be provided.
- A legal requirement to perform this job at camp
- Proof of negative TB test results
- Proof of TDAP
- Verification of occupational physical clearance
- Pass a criminal fingerprint clearance
- 18 years of age
- Verification of eligibility to work in the US
- Clean Driving Record (if applicable)
Employees have the opportunity to share access needs during the interview process, upon hire, and ongoing throughout their employment. AbilityPath recognizes that each person has unique access needs and we are committed to an ongoing evaluation process to make our organization more accessible to meet the needs of our team members.
- Ability to lift and jointly transfer clients – may require lifting up to 45 lbs, with peer support and does require bending at the waist and knee
- Ability to be on your feet, standing, walking, and occasional running for a significant part of the day
- Ability to perform static standing for up to 45 minutes at a time
- Ability to walk over uneven terrain
- Ability to sit for up to 45 minutes, 3 – 6 times daily
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY:
AbilityPath is an equal opportunity employer and makes employment decisions on the basis of merit. We want to have the best available persons in every job. Our policy prohibits unlawful discrimination on the basis of race, religion (including religious dress and grooming practices), color, national origin, gender identity, gender expression, ancestry (including language-use restrictions and possession of a driver’s license), citizenship, physical or mental disability, genetic characteristics, genetic information, marital status, domestic partner status, family care status, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), age, sexual orientation, legally protected medical condition, military or veteran status, or other consideration made unlawful by applicable federal, state, or local laws. AbilityPath will not tolerate any unlawful discrimination against, harassment of, or disrespectful or unprofessional conduct toward an employee based upon any of the protected characteristics listed above or based on the perception that anyone has any of those characteristics or is associated with a person who has or is perceived as having any of those characteristics. All such discrimination is unlawful.
Via Services is now affiliated with AbilityPath, thriving together to provide a lifetime of opportunities for individuals with developmental disabilities. Learn more at abilitypath.org/affiliationFAQ.