- Date Posted: March 7, 2022
- Location: Skagway, Alaska
- Job Type: Full Time
- Salary: $3, 600 / month
- Housing Offered: Yes
- Experience: Some experience required
- Website: http://www.alaskamountainguides.com
- Email: [email protected]
- Phone: (907) 313-4423
AMG operates a top-rope rock climbing program, a hiking program, and an adventure park-style canopy tour for guests visiting Skagway, Alaska on cruise ship-based day trips. The assistant site manager position, in addition to their guiding duties, manages the facilitation of these three programs when the site manager is not present. The Skagway RZ Assist. Mgr. is responsible for ensuring guest safety by making certain that guides adhere to all safety protocols, by aiding and directing ongoing site inspection while working closely with the manager to schedule regular preventative courses, trail, and crag maintenance. This position will assist in the oversight of a guiding staff of 30-40 guides depending on the time of the summer.
The assistant site manager reports directly to the RZ Manager to ensure a smooth chain of command for on-site operations. Stepping beyond the guide role and into the “Assistant RZ Manager” is key to bringing success at the Skagway site.
Site Related Essential Job Functions:
- Help to run safe, efficient, and high-quality programming.
- Ensure all site documentation stays up to date to provide a clear and accurate hand-off daily.
- Provide input for RZ manager’s weekly reports to Skagway office.
- Be positive and outgoing when dealing with guides and guests.
- Responsible for being certain that all guides follow all policies and procedures as outlined in the Skagway Guide Manual, Employee Manual, and Emergency Response Manuals through delegation and direct management of the team.
- Immediately address any performance or safety issues with guides as they occur and report to the site manager.
- Ensure that all safety talks are completed at the time of delivery.
- Ensure that the site is ready and up to standards to start the season.
- Ensure that all guides are portraying a professional image to guests and provide top-level customer service.
- In the case of an emergency, coordinate guides to ensure that procedures are accurately followed, and that communication is constant, paperwork is correctly filled out and collected.
- Ensure all emergency response equipment is correctly stationed, complete, and up to date.
- Relay to RZ Manager performance and progress of all guides.
- Manage Kiosk to be certain that it is being used as an effective sales/marketing tool.
- Assist with providing continuing training opportunities for guides throughout the season.
- Attend weekly meetings as requested.
- Manage the stock of all inventories and maintain pars.
- Together with the RZ Manager, coordinate the close of the site at the end of the season.
- Other duties as dictated by daily needs.
These are just a list of general responsibilities and aren’t comprehensive. Most importantly, the Assistant RZ Manager needs to be flexible to react to varying needs of day-to-day operations. Coordinating with the RZ Manager is vital to the success of these programs.
Klondike Rock Climbing & Rappelling, Adventure Park & Zip Lines, and Skagway Adventure Hike:
Alaska Mountain Guides Adventures currently offers four Skagway-based tours to cruise ship guests visiting during the summer season: Klondike Rock Climbing & Rappelling, Adventure Park & Zip Lines, Combo: Rock Climbing, Rappelling & Zip, Skagway Adventure Hike.
Now entering our sixteenth year of operation in Skagway, our tenth year operating the Adventure Park, and our fifth year operating the Skagway Adventure Hike, we see enthusiasm for these tours unsurpassed in the outdoor recreation industry. AMG looks to our staff to progressively maintain the highest quality outdoor experiences for our guests.
Experience Required to Perform Job Requirements
- Prior guiding, leadership, and tourism experience helpful.
- Must be able to lift up to 60 pounds repeatedly throughout each day.
- Must be able to carry loads over uneven ground.
- Must possess a strong work ethic.
- Must be punctual.
- Must be organized.
- Must have a great, positive attitude.
- Must be comfortable speaking to large groups of people.
- Must be able to handle multiple, simultaneous groups of guests.
- Current WFR or EMT certification
- Previous canopy tour facilitation and/or management experience
- Knowledge of challenge course and canopy tour maintenance and inspection procedures
- Willing and able to acquire Skagway chauffer’s permit once onsite