- Date Posted: August 2, 2021
- Location: Springfield, MO
- Company: Wonders of Wildlife National Museum and Aquarium
- Job Type: Full Time
- Salary: BOE
- Housing Offered: No
- Experience: 0-2 yrs
- Email: Apply through link
We are seeking a dynamic Aquarist to join our team! This person will work under the supervision of the Lead Aquarist and Curatorial Staff. This individual will ensure and promote effective and efficient care of the department’s animal collection.
- Responsible for the daily husbandry and ensuring proper care of all animals; including preparation of diets, medical care, and maintenance of animal exhibit space.
- Assists Aquarist II and Lead Aquarist in initiating viable breeding, husbandry and conservation programs for select species in the museum’s collection.
- Coordinates daily activities though effective communication with staff and volunteers.
- Responsible for daily record keeping and observations
- Participates in educational talks and feeding demonstrations throughout the Museum
- Maintaining ample supplies for animal area
- Assist museum staff & visitors as needed in a pleasant, professional and courteous manner.
- Performs other job related duties as assigned in order to achieve the goals and mission of the museum.
Minimum Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education:
- A Bachelor’s degree in Biology or a related field is preferred; equivalent relevant experience may be considered in lieu of a four-year degree at the discretion of WOW. Intern/volunteer experience in a professional animal facility working with fresh/salt water fish and invertebrates. Knowledge of water parameters, life support systems and ability to perform all aspects of water testing. Current scuba certification, or ability to acquire SCUBA license within 1 year.
- Requires a high degree of concentration and attention to the needs of the collection. Must have precise record keeping and the ability to follow and convey written and verbal instructions. Must possess the analytical skills necessary to trouble shoot mechanical issues and animal behavioral issues.
- Requires walking/standing approximately 75% of the time, sitting 10% of the time, forward bending and crouching 15% of the time, lifting up to 50 lbs. Ability to pass all required physicals and swim test to meet AAUS standards and is certified to dive in aquarium exhibits within 1 year.
- Requires proficiency with Personal Computer (P.C.) hardware and contemporary software including Microsoft Office Products.
- Requires capability of performing essential job functions in holding areas, exhibit spaces and mechanical rooms where spaces are small and tight, and in office environments with climate control and good lighting.
View full job description, and apply through our website: https://wondersofwildlife.org/about/careers/
Johnny Morris’ Wonders of Wildlife National Museum and Aquarium consists of an all-new 1.5-million-gallon Aquarium Adventure showcasing 35,000 live fish, mammals, reptiles, amphibians and birds, and immersive Wildlife Galleries that bring visitors eye-to-eye with the greatest collection of record-setting game animals ever assembled. Created by noted conservationist and Bass Pro Shops founder/CEO Johnny Morris, the 350,000-square-foot experience celebrates people who hunt, fish, and act as stewards of the land and water. Located next to Bass Pro Shops National Headquarters in Springfield, Missouri the campus is a centerpiece of America’s Conservation Capital in Missouri’s Ozark Mountains. Wonders of Wildlife has been voted “Best New Attraction in America” and “America’s Best Aquarium” by the readers of USA TODAY.